Fans Fired Up at UMHB Homecoming Pep Rally

Story and Video by Shelby Davison

Photographs by Adam Toruno

The letters for UMHB roar with fire at the Pep Rally at Luther Memorial on Friday, Sept. 24 during Homecoming Weekend.
Photos by Adam Toruno

See the video at bottom of the story.

Students and fans were pumped for the upcoming Homecoming Football game at the rally at Luther Memorial on Friday night Sept. 24. The massive crowd roared with joy through every song, cheer, and dance as they showed support for the football team. Students, alumni and fans joined together to sing the famous Alma Mater, dance the Cru Spirit dance, and stand as proud Crusaders. 

Music by the Blackshirt Cru Spirit Band set the lively atmosphere, with dancing performed by the UMHB Sader Belles, and cheering led by the Cru Cheer Team. The celebration ended with fireworks above the UMHB letters, which were set flaming with fire.

See the YouTube video below for a short recap of the Pep Rally experience.

The announcement of the 2021 Homecoming King and Queen made students and fans roar with excitement. This year’s homecoming court included, Hannah Sizemore, Jade Ming, Taylor Humphrey, Elizabeth Franklin, Connor Tubbs, Kellen Newton, Evrhett White, and Garret Snyder. The winners of the UMHB’s Homecoming King and Queen were Kyle Parson and Ashia Copeland. 

Cheerleaders and Sader Belles lead the UMHB Pep Rally during Homecoming Weekend at Luther Memorial on Friday, Sept. 24.
Photos by Adam Toruno

“Homecoming this year has been one to remember,” Homecoming Queen, Ashia Copeland said, “from the game that had us on edge to all the campus events leading up to the weekend. We have so much spirit, I’m honored to be a part of UMHB. 

“Personally, this whole experience has been unbelievable and taught me to believe in myself,” Copeland said. “I’ve also had the chance to create some new friendships with the wonderful homecoming court that were so great to work with,” Copeland said.

Cheerleaders at the UMHB Pep Rally during Homecoming Weekend at Luther Memorial on Friday, Sept. 24, 2021. Photos by Adam Toruno

Being Homecoming Queen has meant a great deal to the senior graphic design major, who said she views the title as an honor. 

“To be Homecoming queen is to be a role model for the university,” Copeland said.  “I love my school so to be able to represent us is an honor. Never would I have imagined I could be chosen. It is an experience I will remember for the rest of my life.” 

The UMHB Pep Rally during Homecoming Weekend at Luther Memorial on Friday, Sept. 24.
Photos by Adam Toruno

Homecoming traditionally brings alumni and current students together to share school spirit and love for the school and community, and to support the school’s football team in their home game.  As always, many university alumni brought their families to join in the celebrations.  This year, the UMHB class of 2011 celebrated their 10-year anniversary. 

“Homecoming is important because it brings everyone back together (alumni, students, and future students),” Copeland said. “Homecoming is a time when the community bands together to show our school pride. It’s like whenever a family gets all the members back together and you just reflect on good times and memories. For many, UMHB is our family away from home,” she said.

Photos by Adam Toruno

One of the Sader Belles dancers agrees. This year will be junior nursing major Baylee Dufour’s third year as a member of the UMHB Sader Belles Dance Team. 

“I’m proud to be a Crusader because of the community and support this school gives to those around us,” Sader Belle  Dufour said. 

Photos by Adam Toruno

“My experience as a Cru Spirit member is truly amazing. Being able to get other students excited and supporting the school is the reason I love being a spirit member,” Dufour says. 

Author: Shelby Davison