The Bells editors bid farewell

Emily Mahan: Editor-In-Chief

This May, I will be graduating from UMHB, bringing my time as Editor-In-Chief of The Bells to a close. Although I have only held this title for one semester, I have learned so much. Not only have I improved practical skills such as writing, editing, photography and newspaper design, but I have also had the opportunity to learn from and work with the best staff I could ask for.

First and foremost, I want to thank Dr. Rebecca McEntee, adviser to The Bells. Not only did you teach me everything I need to know about working for a newspaper, but you also encouraged me throughout every step of my journey from staff writer to editor. I truly could not have done this without you.

Second, I want to thank the professors in UMHB’s English and communication departments. As a double major in English and public relations, most of my classes have been in these fields, and I am inspired by each of the wonderful professors who helped me succeed. I would especially like to thank my advisers, Dr. Nathaniel Hansen and professor Avery Green, department chairs Dr. Joey Tabarlet and Dr. Laura Bedwell, and Associate Dean of Humanities Dr. Jacky Dumas.

I would also like to thank Bri Bullion, Assistant Editor of The Bells. Not only are you an amazing editor, but you’re also an amazing friend. Thank you for always being there for me, going on coffee runs with me, having late night homework parties and obsessing over cats with me.

In addition, I would like to thank the incredible Bells staff. Madi, thank you for helping me learn how to use Adobe InDesign and always letting me cuddle Moses, your adorable dog. Beau, thank you for dealing with my lack of sports knowledge and, more importantly, being one of my best friends. Amy, Kayla, Randi and Kate—thank you for always being so enthusiastic and bringing so much fun to the newsroom. I also want to thank Lauren Lum, former Editor-In-Chief, as well as Jimmy, Sarah, Bria and Jasmin.

Finally, I would like to thank the students, alumni, faculty and staff for reading The Bells. Our paper truly could not exist without your support. Thank you for walking with us through our journey.

As I step into the future and embrace life after graduation, I will keep in mind all of the knowledge I gained at UMHB, and I will cherish the lifelong friendships I have made here. I am so grateful for everything I have experienced in college. These past three years could not have been any better, and I will never stop calling this amazing school my home.

Brianna Bullion: Assistant Editor

My journey at UMHB began three years ago when I first set foot on campus for Cru Camp and was immediately greeted by the friendly faces that I have grown to love. I remember being so excited to be surrounded by so many people who loved Jesus as much as I do!

I want to thank all of the people who have supported me since I first came to UMHB and the friends I have made along the way. I would not be where I am today without their help and support. I would especially like to thank my best friend and Editor-in-Chief Emily Mahan. Thank you for all of your help, constant jokes, hugs and patient ears. I am so thankful for your friendship and cannot wait to see where our friendship takes us after we graduate!

I also want to thank the professors in the English department for their constant support and encouraging words, and for sharing their knowledge with me during my time at UMHB. I especially want to thank my adviser, Dr. Stephen Barnes, for being a fantastic guide and for sharing his knowledge about classical literature with me. I would also like to say thank you to Dr. Nathaniel Hansen for being my honors project adviser and making me a better writer—I will always remember the creative writing tips you gave me. I would also like to extend my gratitude to Dr. Jacky Dumas and Dr. Laura Bedwell for their guidance and encouraging words. I truly appreciate their help and encouragement.

I also want to say thank you to the professors of the Honors Program for their guidance. I would especially like to thank Dr. David Holcomb for helping me navigate the program and for his guidance on my senior honors project. I will always remember their kindness.

I would also like to thank the members of The Bells staff for their hard work and dedication. Our paper wouldn’t be where it is now without all of your work and positive energy. I am always excited to come to work with you all!

Thank you Dr. Rebecca McEntee for all of your help and support as we took on the task of running this newspaper. From late night production in the newsroom to the conference at Tar-leton, I will always remember your fun nature and knowledge of journalism. Thank you for being a great adviser!

All of these people and experiences have one thing in common: they all started at UMHB. So, I want to extend my gratitude to this fantastic university for the opportunities it has given me and the people it has helped me meet. I will always cherish the three years I spent at this Christ-centered university and can’t wait to tell my children about my college years at the best university in Texas. Thank you UMHB for providing “education for life” and the “experience of a lifetime.”

Author: Bells SocialEditor