Students skate the night away at CAB event

Neon lights and the sound of laughter greeted students as they walked into Wheels Family Skating Center in Temple on Thursday, Feb. 21. The skating center hosted the UMHB students for their annual skate night, which is planned each year by the Campus Activities Board.

Students were encouraged to attend the event wearing outfits from their favorite fashion decade. Senior criminal justice and psychology double major Kelly Taylor, who is also a CAB member, attended the event.

“I really enjoyed getting to see my friends there!” Taylor said. “The thing I love the most about skate night is that it caters to all sorts of different student groups. So, not only did I get to see my normal circle of friends, but also those friends that I don’t get to see all that often because our classes and work schedules don’t mesh.”

Students skated to music from every decade and laughed with friends as they glided across the floor. Sidney Locke, a sophomore church music major, had fun at the event.

“It had been a long time since I skated,” Locke said. “I wanted to go to the skate night to hang out with my friends and maybe re-live some good childhood memories. I also thought it was a good way to relax and maybe even go back to a different decade.”

The decades theme was a hit amongst the students who attended.

“I think this was a great theme,” Locke said. “The decades are so traditional and unique and going back in time is spontaneous. One of the things I loved the most about skate night was the music because it was good, classic music.”

The skate night also included a costume contest and a limbo contest. While no one was able to conquer the lowest level during the limbo
contest, students came prepared for the costume contest.

Steven Neaves, a junior finance major, won the male costume contest. Sophomore physical education major Maya Reinauer won the female costume contest.

The skate night required a lot of planning from CAB members, including selecting the theme. Brianna Flanter, a freshman pre-dental cell biology major and member of Exec CAB, helped plan the event with members of CAB.

“In the past, we’ve done an 80s theme and we wanted to do something like that again. After some talking with our CAB members, we realized opening the theme up to any decade would allow people to feel more comfortable in their costume of choice,” Flanter said. “I think it worked well!  We had so many people show up in decades from the 20s to the 90s.”

While the decades skate night required a tremendous amount of planning, the large number of students who attended the event proves that the hard work CAB put into the skate night was worth it. Events like this one help CAB achieve its goal of building community on campus.

If you want to help plan similar events for students, CAB meetings are held every Monday at 8:30 p.m. in the Student Organizations office on the second floor of Bawcom Student Union.

If you want to learn more about CAB and upcoming campus events, follow @CAB_UMHB on Twitter

Author: Bri Bullion