Oscars Review

The Oscars have always been a big deal to me. When the show came on, I always watched it. I even had a party for it one year in college. This year, I celebrated the Oscars at Grand Avenue Theaters. It was a very nice evening for people in the community. There were a lot of games and activities for the guests to participate in before the production started. I enjoyed viewing the Oscars on a big screen for the first time.

Grand Avenue did a great job with this event. They had a red carpet and a professional photographer.

There were three awards given out at the end of the night to the guests who came. These awards were Best Dressed, Ballot Champion and Ballot Runner-Up.

The Oscars themselves were pretty unpredictable. I guessed some of the right winners but not all of them. It was also weird this year because there was no host. The introduction of the Oscars celebrated one of the nominated films, “Bohemian Rhapsody,” with a Queen concert featuring Adam Lambert in place of Freddie Mercury. The moving performance was led by lead guitarist Brian May.

“Bohemian Rhapsody” was nominated for five awards including Best Picture and won four of these awards. Rami Malek, who portrayed Freddie Mercury in the film, won Best Actor in a Leading Role. This was his first time being nominated for and winning an Oscar. His acceptance speech was moving.

“Part of my story is being written right now. And I could not be more grateful to each and every one of you, and everyone who believed in me for this moment,” he said. “It’s something I will treasure for the rest of my life.”

My favorite performance of the night has to go to Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper, who starred in the 2018 remake of the hit musical “A Star is Born.” At the ceremony, they sang the popular anthem “Shallow” from the film, which won Best Original Song.

During her acceptance speech, Lady Gaga said, “If you are at home and you’re sitting on your couch and you’re watching this right now, all I have to say is that this is hard work, and I’ve worked for a long time, and it’s not about, ya know, it’s not about winning… If you have a dream, fight for it. If there’s a discipline for passion — and it’s not about how many times you get rejected or fall down or you’re beaten up. It’s about how many times you stand up and are brave and you keep on going. Thank you.”

There were a lot more great movies that won awards, but the most shocking award was Best Picture. Everyone expected “Roma” to win due to the film’s success with titles such as Best Director, Best Foreign Language Film, and Best Cinematography. However, the award for Best Picture went to “Green Book.” The movie is about an unlikely friendship and the struggles the characters faced in the 1960s. The film starred Mahershala Ali, who won Best Supporting Actor, and Viggo Mortensen. Director Peter Farrelly gave an inspiring speech.

“The whole story is about love. It’s about loving each other despite our differences and finding out the truth about who we are: we’re the same people,” Farrelly said.

Author: Jimmy Boutte