Athlete spotlight: Aubrie Elliot

Senior pre-veterinary medicine major Aubrie Elliot is entering her final season playing for the women’s basketball team at UMHB. Elliot has been playing basketball since she was very young, but she did not always enjoy it like she does now.

“In junior high and even my freshman year [of high school], basketball felt more like a job to me. I enjoyed it still, but it wasn’t very fun.”

It all changed during her sophomore year of high school. Elliot’s team began having fun together and she started to fall in love with the game.

Her love for the game has brought her to a successful basketball career at UMHB. Last year, the women’s basketball team had a great season that brought them to the conference championship. After a hard-fought battle, the team ultimately lost the championship. She stated that this has motivated her and the entire team.

“We’ve taken one game at a time this season knowing that we’ve ultimately been preparing for post-season. This team has proven we’re one of the best in the country and I’m so excited to see what all we accomplish”.

The women’s basketball team kicked off the playoffs on Thursday, Feb. 21 against the Lady Wildcats of Louisiana College.

“I hope that my teammates would remember me as someone who worked hard but loved harder,” Elliot said. “My goal every year on a team is that no matter what happens, I would love them with the same love that Christ has for them. I love this team and I hope they know I’m always just a phone call away if they ever need anything.”

Without a doubt, she has been an integral part in this year’s great season. Hopefully, her words inspire her teammates to play like she does.

Elliot has had a strong season, appearing in this year’s ASC championship tournament. She did not start in this tournament, but she definitely helped her team make it to the finals.

She totaled 25 points and averaged 45 percent shooting from the field and six total rebounds.

Author: Beau Kemp