Riveting reviews: Mystery books for fall

As the days get shorter and the weather cools down, it is the perfect time of year to settle down into an over-stuffed arm chair and pull out a good book. I’ve been a mystery book lover my entire life.
I read every Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys book in the library at my elementary school. After that, I read the Boxcar Children mysteries, and then mysteries such as The Dollhouse Murders by Betty Wren Wright. Now, I’ve compiled a list of some of my favorite mystery books as an adult.

“Predator” by Terri Blackstock
What it’s about: Krista Carmichael’s 14-year-old sister is murdered by an online predator. Carmichael makes a fake online account on the social networking site GrapeVyne to bait the killer. When the killer makes Carmichael his next target, she must join forces with the creator of GrapeVyne, Ryan Adkins. Will Carmichael’s faith in God be restored? Will she be able to find the predator, or will she become the next victim?
Why I recommend it: We live in a world where almost everyone has a social media account, most likely on multiple platforms. After I read this book, I updated my settings to make all of my social media accounts private. The story will keep you interested. Carmichael and Adkins are likeable characters, and I enjoyed seeing the development of Carmichael’s faith.

“Thr3e” by Ted Dekker
What it’s about: Seminary student Kevin Parson gets a chilling phone call from a man who calls himself Slater. Parson is given three minutes to confess his sin to the world or his car will blow up. He panics, finds a parking lot and vacates his car. Three minutes later, his car explodes.
Slater continues to give Parson more riddles and more threats, each involving the number three. To find out Slater’s identity, Parson must confront his past head-on.
Why I recommend it: This book has one of the best plot twists I’ve ever read. Normally, I have a hard time enjoying a Ted Dekker book, but I couldn’t put this one down. Dekker is considered a Christian writer, but his Christian themes are very subtle, and I really liked that about this book.

The Restoration Series by Terri Blackstock
(“Last Light”, “Night Light”, “True Light” and “Dawn’s Light”)
What it’s about: Imagine what would happen if a plane fell out of the sky and your car suddenly stopped working. The electricity cuts out, and cell phones, computers and even radios are completely useless. The crisis is worldwide.
During this crisis, the Branning family must decide whether to share their resources with their neighbors or hoard their possessions. Will God provide for them in this terrible time? With a killer among them, no one is safe.
Why I recommend it: As a high-tech planet, we are dependent on our technology. But what would happen if everything stopped working? Would we turn to God? Would we turn into a lawless society?
I couldn’t put these books down. I cried. I was overjoyed at points, and I was scared and frustrated for the characters. Each book offers a new problem as the crisis rages on for months. We get to see the point of view from each of the Branning family members. They become like family.

Author: Lauren Lum