First Man film review: A blast

“One giant step for man, one giant leap for mankind.” We have all heard this famous phrase. Neil Armstrong said this when he made it to the moon on July 20, 1969. His story has been told so many times from movies and television specials. The new movie “First Man” tells the story again. This movie is directed by Damien Chazelle who directed the incredible “La La Land” film, which won six academy awards. This movie stars Ryan Gosling as Armstrong and Claire Foy as his wife.
The movie is based on a book by James R. Hansen on the life of Armstrong. I did not know all of the hardships he faced in his life. It was so shocking. Gosling did a great job playing Armstrong. When he was up in space I really believed that he was there. Armstrong was kind of a jerk to his friends and family, as it is portrayed in the movie. This surprised me since he is known to us as an American hero who was such a good guy.
Clair Foy also did an amazing job in this movie. She played a great grieving mother and wife. She always wanted what was best for Armstrong even though he just cared for himself. She was so passionate in every scene she did.
This movie is getting a lot of Oscar buzz and I can see it winning a few. The score for this movie is by Oscar winner Justin Hurwitz who worked with Chazelle in “La La Land.” The music was amazing. I felt like I was in space because of it.
In the scenes where they were testing out the rockets, I was at the edge of my seat. The acting and directing had me thinking that I was actually right next to Gosling as he ejected from a fiery training crash.
I did think that the movie was a little slow in a lot of parts. There was just a lot of science stuff that I did not really care about. I just wanted to see Gosling in a rocket and blasting off. I also thought that Armstrong’s character could have been developed more. Minor spoiler: His family went through a hard time at the beginning of the movie, which was somewhat portrayed, that also could have been developed more. The movie left me wanting to know more about it.
In spite of that, this was an overall interesting movie to watch.

Graphic by Jimmy Boutte and Sarah Ifft

Author: Jimmy Boutte