Boxercising for fitness fun

Although boxercise was originally founded in the UK, this popular workout method can now be found most anywhere, including Temple’s Wilson Park Recreation Center. Although boxercise was originally founded in the UK, this popular workout method can now be found most anywhere, including Temple’s Wilson Park Recreation Center. There, Lisandra Hernandez has molded her hybrid class to be a “unique blend of cardio, kickboxing, punching and body weight workout,” according to the City of Temple website.Hernandez, a five-year kickboxing veteran, said she began this class when she was training a woman who suggested starting a boxing program at the rec center. “I said, ‘yeah, why not!’ I already knew people who were interested and so they followed me here,” Hernandez said. The classes usually begin with some form of cardio, like running and jumping rope. Next, Hernandez leads her class in an intense ab and squat workout. Then the boxing begins, when Hernandez will partner up her students, one with gloves and one with mitts, and she will have students weave around cones while throwing a punch combination that is sure to make any bystander cower. Once the cardio and boxing are completed, the class ends with another run. Hernandez says that although she likes to stick to a schedule, every class is different. She enjoys bringing new exciting ideas for her students to try.One of the main reasons why she started her boxercising class was to see “how people feel afterwards,” Hernandez said. “Women feel more confident after learning these techniques and everyone gets that euphoric glow on their faces.”  One of her students, Loney Johnson, continues to come back because of the self-assurance she feels. And she is determined to keep the wardrobe she has. “I’m determined not to buy new clothes because I can finally fit in my old ones,” Johnson said.Although this class is mainly taken by women, there are a few men who are regulars, one of which is, Samuel Rodriguez, who  has been participating in Lisandra’s boxercising class for about three months now. “I hate doing the bike machine and running on treadmills for cardio,” Rodriquez said. “But here we run, jump and box. Time goes by faster here.” Not having worked out for years beforehand made it difficult for Rodriquez to keep up. However, after attending for three months, he has begun to see drastic changes. “I weighed 210 pounds when I first started and now I weigh 189 pounds,” Rodriguez said.Even if the hip, upbeat music playing isn’t enough to keep students going, Hernandez cheers them on from start to finish, leaving them with nothing but a feeling of accomplishment.

Author: Bells SocialEditor