Caleb Fitzwater dubbed Mr. Crusader Knight

Junior Caleb Fitzwater, representing McLane Hall, won the title of Mr. Crusader Knights on Saturday, Feb. 25.
“It was definitely shocking,” Fitzwater said of his win. “I’ve never been given so many hugs in one night, which is kind of cool.”
The show featured many funny moments, along with several surprises, including a green screen that the contestants used during a group dance.
Junior Isaac Felan directed Crusader Knights along with assistant directors junior Daniel Martinez, senior Tori Bradbery and senior
Ben Roark.
“I worked with contestants, I worked with ticket sales and ushers, and I did anything I was asked to do,” Martinez said. “My role was to help the guys feel comfortable with the show, while offering input on the production.”
Martinez said that he was proud of all the hard work that the men have put in since they began practicing and it showed on the night of the competition.
“The show was amazing, and the guys brought it,” he said. “The introductions, the spotlights, the videos, the top six answers… all of it was amazing and hilarious. I am proud of these men for rising up and owning the stage.”
This year, as part of the theme, it was announced that NBC liked Crusader Knights 2017 so much that they decided to film the 2018 Crusader Knights competition before a live studio audience.
Ellie Ball hosted the competition, while Aria Flores, Anthony Tharp, Jenna Forester, and Chris Box emceed.
The night began with the contestant videos. Each contestant prepared a one-minute video before the competition to be projected on the screens. The contestants picked TV shows to base their videos off of. Some featured TV shows included The Andy Griffith Show, I Love Lucy, Happy Days, The Office, Even Stevens, and more.
Following each video, the contestants were given pre-determined questions, which they had to act out. The competition also included several group dances.
The top six finalists for Cru Knights included Mr. Phi Mu Alpha James Jones, Mr. Farris Hall Jacob Hindman, Mr. McLane Hall Caleb Fitzwater, Mr. Junior Class Chase Mariott, Mr. Sophomore Class Patrick McElyea , and Mr. Burt Hall Peter Zuniga.
The six finalists were required to answer two finalists’ questions read by 2018 Miss Mary Hardin-Baylor Tori Pharris before the judges made their final decision.
The competition also included several individual awards.
Senior marketing major Vincent Sigler, representing University Ambassadors, won Best Spotlight.
Best Video went to Freshman biology major Steve Villalobos, who represented First Year Council.
Sophomore marketing major Christian McConnell, representing Independence Village, took home Best Interview, and Freshman mathematics major Andrew Berg won the Timothy Award, which is a special award chosen by the contestants as the contestant who exhibited the most Christ-like qualities throughout the rehearsals.
“I am so blessed that these guys would recognize me for being me,” Berg said.
Congratulations to the 2018 Mr. Crusader Knights Caleb Fitzwater.

Caleb Fitzwater, crowned Mr. Crusader Knight, answers a Top 6 finalist question during competition Saturday, Feb. 24. Waiting to answer their own questions are left to right: sophomore James Jones, junior Jacob Hindman, junior Chase Mariott, and sophomore Patrick McElyea. Photo by Riley Rogers/ The Bells

Author: Lauren Lum