Sports spotlight: Wykeyhe Walker

Wykeyhe Walker gets baptized in front of his friends and family at the Mayborn pool on Monday, Oct. 30. Photo by Madeline Oden/ The Bells

Senior mass communications major Wykeyhe Walker was recently baptized in the university’s pool at the Mayborn Campus Center.
“It was something I wanted to do for a while now, and I was going through so much, but God gave me hope and that caused me to focus on the good instead of the bad.”
Walker’s friends and family gathered at the pool to see him baptized. President Dr. Randy O’Rear and his wife, Julie, were in attendance at the baptism. Walker attends First Baptist Belton with the O’Rears.
“It was joyful to see him make the best decision he will ever make in his life,” O’Rear said. “He desired to tell the world and stand up on top of the mountain and scream, ‘I am a believer, and I want to be obedient, and I want to be baptized.’”
O’Rear said that Walker reached out to him after one of his teammates and now UMHB alumnus, Matt Cody, was baptized at Temple Lake Park.
“We started talking about our faith, becoming a Christian, baptism, what that meant, and what that meant to him.”
O’Rear said that he’s enjoyed watching the journey Walker has taken since he began attending church with the O’Rears.
“To see the joy and the peace he has now as a believer has been a sweet thing to watch,” he said.
Walker plans to graduate this December with a bachelor of arts in mass communications. He will then relocate to Madrid, Spain to play professional football with the Osos Rivas.
“Honestly it hasn’t hit me yet, but I can’t wait for the experience,” he said. “Of course, my family is sad but this is a step I have to take to get to the NFL.”
Walker played receiver for the university for four seasons. During his final season, he was a part of the National Championship winning team.
“I have been a starter here for the last 3.5 years, and I have never played in a game so cold,” he said. “I was with my brothers. You can’t really ask for a better ending.”
Walker said that playing football for the Cru and being at the university has changed him tremendously.
“When I got here, I was a kid that only cared about himself,” he said. “Now, I am a man who is about to start a new journey.”
He said that he didn’t really see change in himself until his sophomore year.
“I didn’t know Jesus, and even football was going bad. But I got my head right in the summer of my sophomore year, realizing I wanted the college experience. So I had to do everything in my power to stay, and my life went up from there.”

Author: Lauren Lum