Fantasy Football: Bringing Crusaders together

Football season is in full swing, and many UMHB students are making the most of it by getting together with their friends to play fantasy football.
Fantasy football aficionados select professional football players in a draft at the beginning of the season. These chosen professional players make up a fantasy football team, which they pit against the fantasy teams of others in their league. Each week, teams earn points based upon the performance of professional players in NFL games, and the teams with the most points emerge victorious.
Players earn six points for each receiving and rushing touchdown, four points for every passing touchdown, one point for every 10 rushing or receiving yards, and one point for every 25 passing yards that their professional players accrue each week. Teams also earn points for defensive efficiency and scoring.
Bragging rights are the most common prize for fantasy football victories.
UMHB students, like freshman accounting major Tyler Mora, feel motivated to play fantasy football for a variety of reasons.
“I play because it allows me to both enjoy the sport of football and to make friends all at once,” Mora said. “I love the atmosphere of friendly competition.”
To freshman psychology major Ryan McKissick, developing relationships through fantasy football is also important, but not paramount.
“I play because my friends are playing,” McKissick said. “But I really like winning.”
Other students, like freshman biology pre-med major Megan Skains, are new to fantasy football and are trying it out for the first time.
“I heard people in my Cru group talking about it and it sounded like fun,” Skains said. “It’s been a great experience so far.”
“Fantasy football requires attention to detail, patience, and a basic knowledge of professional football. At the same time, it is an excellent way to discover more about the game,” Mora said.
“I’d recommend it to anybody who wants to learn more about football,” Mora said. “It’s a good gateway for anybody who doesn’t know much about the sport.”
Last week, Mora suffered a loss by an extremely small margin. He is now 1-1 (one win and one loss) in his league, but is glad things are staying interesting.
“My season started off well,” Mora said. “But the competition is rather stiff in my league, so all the games have been close.”
McKissick is also hopeful for his season. Despite having drafted a solid team, he fell to Mora in week one, but remained unfazed, and bounced back for a victory the following week. Others, like Skains, have had less luck. She starts the season 0-2, still looking for her first victory.
“My season isn’t starting off too great,” Skains said. “Even though half my team is injured, I think it will get better.”
The goal of fantasy football, like any game, is to have fun. Skains understands this, and appreciates the opportunity to dive a little deeper into her NFL fandom.
“I would recommend it to everybody, because it’s a great experience,” Skains said. “It’s fun keeping up with your favorite teams and players.”

Author: Jonathan Fish