Nintendo Switch console new favorite for gamers everywhere

Published in the March 29, 2017 issue of The Bells

At a first glance, the new Nintendo console isn’t much to look at. A small, tablet-like screen, and a docking station with ports for an AC adapter and and HDMI cable. But what this small, unassuming console is hiding can only be described as breathtaking.

It costs $300 for the console itself, and a majority of the games will cost $60. The release titles included Bomberman, a puzzle-based game, 1-2 Switch, a multiplayer game that consists of many different minigames, and Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, an RPG that includes both puzzles and action.
Immediately upon turning it on, the system walks you through setup; time zone, user profile information, standard setup actions. All of it is very user-friendly. It asks for you to connect to the internet, but that’s mostly to provide access to things like the help center and the Nintendo store. All in all, the console is very easy to navigate and to use.

In the interest of full disclosure, I was excited about the Switch from the time it was announced that Nintendo was working on a new console, at that time under the codename NX. I checked up for new information on it weekly. Similarly, Breath of the Wild caused a great deal of excitement for me, because I’ve played the series for years. I have never been let down by one of the Legend of Zelda titles.
From the minute I booted the game up I was impressed. The graphics were simply amazing. There was a level of detail that none of the previous titles could deliver. And as with any game, there was a segment that served as a tutorial for the controls and an introduction to the story. Breath of the Wild had a tutorial like no other game I’ve ever played. The map size alone was comparable to some other games I’ve played, and the controls were easy to handle. The one complaint I even come close to having is that controlling the camera angle took some getting used to.

I refuse to give any spoilers for the game, but I can tell you that there is just so much to do. Whether it’s side quests or the main storyline, there are all kinds of things to keep you busy. I took two weeks to beat the main story, and I could have taken longer if I had done more in the way of the side action to begin with.
I can’t say enough about the Switch. It’s amazing. And the upcoming titles are something to be excited about as well. A new Mario title, Mario Kart, Skyrim, and a revamped Street Fighter II are just a few up-for-release before the year is out. I’d give the new console a 10/10, no question.

Author: Bryce Keller