Senior basketball player shines on and off the court

Published in the February 8, 2017 issue of The Bells

Senior men’s basketball guard Daniel Mills has played the game for as long as he can remember. As a leader both on and off the court, Mill’s passion and dedication to the sport has not only contributed to the success of the team, but also has inspired his teammates to strive for excellence both in basketball and in life.

“I started playing basketball when I was four-years-old,” Mills said. “My dad introduced me to the game and put me in a recreational league in Temple.”
While Mills has had many people throughout his basketball career that have made him into the player he is today, his father has been the most influential.
“[He] is my biggest inspiration because he’s been through so much fighting cancer and still puts a smile on his face every day,” Mills said.
Growing up in Belton, choosing to continue his basketball career at UMHB was an easy decision for Mills.

“I chose to come play at UMHB because I wanted to be close to home and my dad who was really sick,” Mills said. “My favorite part about playing here at UMHB is my teammates. We are like brothers.”
As a senior on the team, Mill’s strong leadership and team skills on and off the court can be seen every single game.
“I just try to be the best teammate I can be,” Mills said. “I do whatever the team needs, so at any given night it could be different. I’m a scorer, but we have a lot of people on this team that can score also.”
With a 13-8 overall record this season, Mills and the rest of the team hope to be more and more successful and improve their record.

“For the rest of the season, I hope we can see how far we can go and hopefully win a conference championship,” Mills said.
The senior plans to continue to pursue his passion of the game in his future career.
“In the future, I’m hoping to get into business, but I don’t exactly know what I want to do yet,” Mills said. “However, I do plan on trying to go overseas to play basketball professionally.”

Basketball has always been much more than just a sport to Mills, it has been a way of life..
“Basketball is so important to me because I love to compete and honestly I just love playing it,” Mills said. “I love being able to play and win.”
Throughout his time playing here at UMHB, Mills has always been a leader for the rest of the team.
“Mills has been in this program for three years and knows exactly what Coach wants from us,” Senior post Austen Stolte said. “He is very good on the offensive end. Every time he shoots it, it’s got a good chance of going in.”

Author: Geri Wissink