Election leaves nation divided

Published in the November 16, 2016 issue of The Bells

The 2016 Presidential election began in mid-2015 when twelve Republicans and two democrats announced their intention of running for the presidency.
Over the next few months the candidates were wittled down to two candidates—Billionaire Republican nominee Donald Trump and Democrat nominee Senator Hillary Clinton.
On Tuesday, Nov. 8, the candidates went head-to-head in a nail-biting election.
In the early hours of Wednesday, Nov. 9, it was announced that Trump and his running mate Indiana Governor Mike Pence had officially reached the 270 mark in electoral votes. The Republicans also won the majority in the House of Representatives and the Senate.
According to CBS News, this will be the first time since 1928 that the GOP has had control of the White House, the House, and the Senate all at the same time.
Trump will officially take office January 20 on Inauguration Day when he and Pence will be sworn into office.
Trump addressed the nation early Wednesday morning following the announcement of his winning the presidency.
“For those who have chosen not to support me in the past, of which there were few people, I’m reaching out to you for your guidance and your help so we can work together and unify our great country,” Trump said.
Director of Political Science program Dr. Janet Adamski held a watch night party at the Townsend Memorial library for students and faculty to watch the results leak in on election night.

Dr. Adamski holds a watch night party every election.
“I figure it’s our civic duty to pay attention to what’s going on and be involved and make it easy for all of us to come together and know what’s going on… Government isn’t something that happens to us. We’re a part of government,” Dr. Adamski said.
Americans across the globe have mixed feelings including fear, rage, and happiness over the results of the election.
“I was not completely excited when they announced Donald Trump’s presidency as he was not my first choice,” sophomore journalism major Felicia Suominen said. “I come from a Mexican family and sometimes his comments were a bit offensive to all of us. But I do hope he proves me wrong, and I hope the community will come together instead of tearing each other down.”
While some were apprehensive about Trump’s victory, others were excited about the business mogul’s win.
“As the results unfolded, I was shocked at how much the country was rooting for Trump,” sophomore political science pre-law major Tyler Baker said. “I did not expect that he would win the election, but I was glad he did.”
Despite the support for Trump, the country is still reeling from the historic election.
Riots and protests broke out on college campuses across the country including the University of Texas at Austin, the University of Oregon, the University of California and other major US universities. While some took to the streets, others took to social media using hashtags like #notmypresident, #I’mstillwithher and #makeamericagreatagain.
In a recent broadcast from President Barak Obama, he encouraged Americans to remember that they’re American first before their said political party.
“Everybody is sad when their side loses an election. But we have to remember that we are all on the same team,” Obama said. “We are now all rooting for his success in uniting the country.”
Baker hopes that Trump’s presidency will help heal the nation from racism, strife, and other issues plaguing the country.
“I hope his presidency can fix the large divide in our country. We do not always have to agree with him but when a country works together, it heals, and healing is something we desperately need. We owe Trump time in office to prove his ability to lead.”

Author: Lauren Lum