ASTRA club hopes to serve community

Published in the November 16, 2016 issue of The Bells

You might be asking yourself, what is the Astra Club and what do they do? Astra Club stands for Ability Service Training Responsibility and Achievement.
Astra Club has been on campus for three years and focuses on helping the community. Not only do they get involved in the community, but they are also international.
One of the Astra Club’s members, junior nursing major Arissa Rosales, has been a member since her freshman year.
“One of the Astra Club’s missions is to help the community, and work as a group as God wanted us to,” Rosales said.
She said she enjoys the club because she has a passion to do good for the community. She loves the Astra Club because she can help in a variety of ways.
One of the ways the club serves the community is by helping the organization Feed My Sheep.
Feed My Sheep helps provide meals for students who rely on the free school lunch program. During winter and spring breaks Feed My Sheep packs lunches and gives them to those who do not have food at home.
Rosales believes that partnering with Feed My Sheep is a way for the club to have an even larger reach.
“Since joining the club, I have made lots of friends and feel a connection with everyone involved in the club,” she said. “I would love to continue with the organization after I graduate.”
Junior computer science major Keznyc Walton said that one of the missions of the Astra club is to go out in the community and give back.
Walton has been a part of the organization for two years and got involved when his Cru leader suggested that he join.
“I love that the organization is very hands- on. I also like that there are opportunities to serve people internationally, and anyone is able to participate,” he said.

One of these opportunities is the ability to send a bucket to Africa with basic necessities.
He also enjoys the connection he has with everyone in the club.
“Everyone is friendly and they all love giving back to the community. The organization is very low-key and that’s what I love about it.”
And when they’re not giving back to the community they are hosting events here on campus.
In November, the club hosted Sadie Hawkins dance in the Mclane Great Hall and the profits went to a women’s homeless shelter called The Well.
Senior nursing major Ricky Sanchez, a new member of the club, was excited to be a part of it.
“I wish I could’ve became a part of the club a long time ago,” he said.
The students who attended were happy to be there as well.
Freshman graphic design major Emily Price attended the dance that night.
“I was the first person to buy a ticket and I just came out to have a good time.”
The Sadie Hawkins dance raised a lot for the charity and allowed students to have a good time. So, if you are interested in joining the organization, go to a meeting and become a member.