Student react to campus-wide cricket invasion

Published in the Oct. 26, 2016 issue of The Bells

They come by the thousands every fall, ravaging the streets and buildings of the university, hopping on unsuspecting victims, and causing terror amongst students. Their cold, dark eyes show passing victims no mercy. These detestable, abhorrent, horrific creatures are — crickets.

Laura Beverly, a freshman studying mathematics and history with teacher’s certification, has witnessed the cricket attacks firsthand.

“I had to kill two crickets in my room on the third floor. Another two, or maybe three, jumped in my hair. The funniest thing that happened though was everyone freaking out when there was a cricket at [my friend’s] dorm.”

Another student, sophomore graphic design major Chriscina Lampkin has also dealt with the cricket infestation.

“I thought the cricket invasion was really weird,” Lampkin said, “I’ve never seen crickets swarm like that anywhere. It didn’t even happen last year, so I’m still pretty confused.”

According to CNN, the reason for the cricket plague is because of low temperatures. As a result, the crickets gather around places that are well-lit and mate – creating a swarm of annoying obstacles.

“They were really bad at Mabee,” Lampkin said. “Before you walked in near the post office, they were all huddled in the corner. Not even just on the ground, but on the walls and the ceiling too. I was trying to avoid stepping on them, and I had to stop and look at them. One of them was dead and the other cricket was just sitting on top of it. I was just like, ‘are you mourning?’”

“The crickets are gross,” said junior marketing major Kelly Carlin, “I work at Mayborn and when I had to go wash towels, the gym had crickets and it was disgusting.”

While not a threat to people, the cricket’s erratic and unpredictable jumps can cause anyone to go into a frenzy.

“I work at Academy and they were really bad the first night they came. They were swarming the lights, falling out of the sky, and jumping off of the shelves,” Lampkin said.

Thankfully, many of the crickets at the university have died off. Unfortunately, that means there is dead cricket smell in the air.

“Crickets have a smell. Not even a smell, but an odor. They smell like bad cat and dog food,” Lampkin said.

There are still some crickets hopping around campus, determined to stay alive. Luckily, there are a few ways to get rid of the little buggers.

Carlin suggests a good way to get rid of a cricket is to use a vacuum.

Lampkin says that she sprayed Home Defense in her apartment to prevent the crickets from going under the door.

“I would also suggest closing the gap underneath the door as well with some type of padding,” Lampkin said. “They also tried to come through the lights, but we just left the light on so it would fry the crickets. The only other option is keeping your place clean.”

For now, UMHB is relatively safe from the cricket plague, which comes as a relief for many students.

“[The cricket infestation] was worse than the one back home a couple of years ago, but at least a bunch of the crickets are gone now,” Beverly said.

“One of my co-workers said it means we’re going to have a really cold winter. I say bring it on. But I’m just really glad it’s mostly over,” Lampkin said.

Author: Sarah Ifft