Editor-in-chief bids farewell

It has truly been a pleasure serving as editor of the campus newspaper, The Bells. It has been stressful, but mostly fun.

I know that most of this would be impossible if it weren’t for the wonderful staff I’ve enjoyed working with this past semester, along with the students, faculty and staff that not only read the stories we write, but contribute to them as well.

The last three-and-a-half years at UMHB have come and gone, and it honestly seems like a blur now as I am finishing my last week. I remember coming to my first journalism class, Introduction to Mass Media, in the fall of 2012 and hearing some wise words said by Mrs. Vicky Kendig, former journalism professor and newspaper adviser.

She recited John 1:1: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”

After that, she proceeded to encourage us journalism majors, telling us that God had journalists in mind when that verse was written, and that our jobs were to write the truth and remain true to ourselves as Christian journalists.

Wiser words were never said and I have never been more influenced by a single individual than I have been by Mrs. Kendig.

My journey on The Bells has been a rollercoaster, but I wouldn’t trade my experience for the world. From starting out my sophomore year as entertainment page editor, to adapting to a smaller staff and paper, to working with our new newspaper adviser, Mrs. McClure, and building our staff from the ground up, it has been hard. But it has been worth it.

In my time as editor and working on the paper in general, I have learned what UMHB is really about. I’ve had the opportunity to see the very best of this campus and take in the beauty it has to offer.

A lot of my thanks goes to the UMHB Communications department, whose faculty has not only taught me everything I know, but has also given this student-run newspaper the support it needs to succeed.

I would like to thank every person who works in Heard Hall. Sharing this home has its ups and downs, and our chaos inevitably becomes your chaos, but you don’t let that stop us from producing the paper. Your patience with the newspaper and staff is really appreciated.

Lastly, I don’t think I can go without thanking the newspaper adviser, Mrs. McClure, my assistant editor, Cody Weems and the rest of the staff and writers. All of the hard work we have put in this semester has not gone unnoticed, and I genuinely cannot thank each and every one of you enough for your friendships, your time and your patience. I am forever grateful for everything.

I will never forget the memories I have made and the skills I have been taught over the years with such a great group of people and a wonderful school. I wish the best of luck to The Bells Staff and a hard-earned congratulations to the December graduates of 2015.

Senior mass communication and journalism major and Editor-in-Chief of The Bells poses in her cap and gown. Yarbrough has served on the newspaper staff for three years.

Author: Jordan Yarbrough