Sports Spotlight

Senior psychology major Elizabeth Ostroff is from The Woodlands, Texas and graduated from College Park High School. Growing up, she enjoyed being outside, whether it was adventuring, traveling, running, hiking, soccer or playing tennis.

Going into high school, she began to focus on playing tennis.

“I started playing tennis seriously my freshman year of high school. When I was younger I played soccer, then I moved on to try cross country and track, but I never enjoyed these as much as I have enjoyed tennis,” she said.

At UMHB, Ostroff has contributed each season. Her freshman year, she helped the Cru capture the ASC West Division Team title and earned ASC West Division Second Team honors for line No. 2 doubles. As a sophomore, she earned ASC Honorable Mention for line No. 5 singles and the Second Team for line No. 3 doubles. Last year, she earned ASC West Division Second Team honors for line No. 3 singles. She has also been named to the ASC Winter/Spring Distinguished Scholar-Team and ASC All-Academic Team.

“Over the past 3 years this team has taught me so much; I have learned from the coach, past players, and even opponents from other teams. My way of saying thank you would be to do all I can possibly do to get us in the position to win.”

Ostroff and the Cru have been to the post-season each of her three tennis team seasons, falling in the ASC Semifinals each year. She hopes to take the next step by winning the conference.

“I am personally seeking to win as many of my matches as I can this season. As a team, I want us to win conference. I think we have the potential, but it won’t be easy,” she said.

The Crusader life was the perfect choice for Elizabeth.

“I chose UMHB because I felt like this was where God was calling me at the time. It’s been the best experience of my life thus far, and I couldn’t be more thankful,” she said.

Off the court, Elizabeth is a student athlete representative for the UMHB Student Advisory Athletic Committee (SAAC). She is also participating in the Miss MHB pageant and is involved at The Vista Community Church.

She also believes tennis is a sport that provides lifelong lessons.

She said, “I love the competition that tennis provides, both in the team aspect and individually,” she said. “It’s a sport that I believe builds character and encourages independence. “

Author: Jake Stamps