Sports Spotlight

Junior nursing major Scott Wilding was always a determined athlete. Even though he was born in Japan, Wilding enjoyed playing American sports like football and basketball. But his true passion was tennis.

Before going into his 9th-grade year, Wilding decided that he wanted to focus on becoming a tennis player.

“Tennis is my favorite sport because of the energy that it brings when I am on the court. I love the feeling of hitting a winner in a big match and turning to my teammates to hear them cheer me on,” he said.

Wilding is currently the team captain for the UMHB tennis squad and has played a key role every season.

Last season, he helped lead the Cru to the American Southwest Conference Tournament Championship match for the first time in the school’s history. Wilding and the squad also helped UMHB capture the ASC-West Division Team Title. He was awarded ASC-West Division Player of the Week twice and was named to the ASC-West First Team for doubles and Second Team for singles. He was also named to the All-Tournament team.

He earned multiple wins last year, including a victory over a Division I opponent. His freshman season, he led the Cru to the postseason and was named ASC Freshman of the Year and earned All-Conference honors.

Although Wilding has received many personal accolades, he enjoys being part of a team.

“My favorite thing about tennis is the team atmosphere. Specifically, when you’re all on court and all cheering for each other after each point. It really makes a difference in a match,” he said.

Outside of tennis, if Scott isn’t studying, he enjoys playing golf, basketball and hanging out with his friends. He is also involved with Young Life, where he serves as a leader for Temple High School.

Upon graduating, Wilding hopes to pursue a career in nursing.

“After I graduate, I would like to be a nurse anesthetist. A nurse anesthetist works under the anesthesiologist. I think it would be really cool to be able to put people out for surgeries,” he said.

But before he graduates, Wilding wants to earn All-American honors and lead the Cru to their first ASC Championship.

“I think it would be awesome if I could leave a legacy of winning the first ASC Championship,” he said. “We came really close last year, so I think we can make another run for it.”

Author: Jake Stamps