Editor bids campus farewell

Crusaders, it has been an honor to serve as the editor of your newspaper, The Bells. I am so very thankful to the students, faculty and staff who read our work and whose accomplishments and involvement on campus and in the Central Texas community provide stories worth telling.

I can hardly believe that my four-year academic journey at UMHB is drawing to a close. It seems like only last semester I was a freshman sitting in Introduction to the Mass Media filling out an interest form to work on this award-winning publication, which has become a cornerstone of my involvement here.

I am grateful to have been afforded the opportunity to partake in so many of the rich traditions and events that make UMHB so special, even if I witnessed a great number of them through the viewfinder of a camera while furiously scribbling down the names of people of whom I needed to ask questions.

As Mrs. Vicky Kendig, UMHB’s former mass communication professor and newspaper adviser often said, “Journalism is the first draft of history.”

The class of 2015 is fortunate to have seen what I believe is one of the most vibrant eras of UMHB’s history since Old Baylor’s founding in Independence.

During the construction and completion of Crusader Stadium, the Bawcom Student Union, the Baugh Center for the Visual Arts, the Isabelle Rutherford Meyer Nursing Education Center along with the ongoing renovations of the Mabee Student Center and Hardy Hall, we’ve watched a beautiful campus transform into a spectacular one.

I can only hope that the incoming freshman class of 2019 will brim with as much purple pride and Crusader spirit as has coursed through my veins since my ‘Sader Day in the spring of 2011 when I was a soon-to-be high school graduate excited for all the opportunities this phase of life would offer.

I came to UMHB with high expectations academically, socially and spiritually, and each has been exceeded beyond measure.

I wish my fellow graduates the best in their endeavors and urge those who stay after us to make the most of their time with the friends they make while carrying on our time-honored traditions of service and excellence with faithfulness and devotion to our Purple, White and Gold.

Author: Antonio Hebert