Heartbreaker ends Cru’s season

Led by senior Jerard Graham, the UMHB men’s basketball team made a late-season push to lock up the No. 5 seed in the American Southwest Conference tournament. The Cru’s run came to an end, however, as the team suffered a 72-64 defeat at the hands of Howard Payne University in Thursday’s first-round matchup.

Senior Jerard Graham slams down a dunk against Southwestern. Jake Stamps/The Bells

The Cru gained control early and built a 10-point lead early in the second half, but an 11-0 run by the Yellow Jackets put HPU up 44-43 five minutes into the second half.

The Yellow Jackets would build a 54-47 lead, but the Cru fought back to tie the game at 59.

With 4:23 left in the contest, sophomore guard Avery Polchinski drained a bucket that gave UMHB a 63-62 advantage.

It would be the final field goal the Cru would make on the evening as HPU was able to ice the game from the free throw line.

Sophomore Daniel Mills led the Cru with 24 points on the game. The Belton High product averaged 18.8 points over the Cru’s final five games. Mills said his success down the stretch can be accredited to the bonds he built with his teammates throughout the season.

Graham drives the lane against a Sul Ross defender. Jake Stamps/The Bells

“I think I just got used to having new teammates and my confidence went up a lot,” he said. “I think it has to do with my teammates and coach having trust in me and I’ve just been more consistent with my effort and it has helped me.”

Graham was the team’s leading scorer on the season, averaging 18.9 points per game as he started every game for the Cru. The senior not only led his team in scoring, but became a more vocal leader as well.

“I have felt myself get more vocal in practice and in games. At the beginning of the season I was a tad quiet but now I’m constantly communicating with my teammates,” Graham said.

Sophomore Avery Polchinski and junior Layton Zinsmeister look on against Southwestern. Jake Stamps/The  Bells

Sophomore Avery Polchinski and junior Layton Zinsmeister look on against Southwestern. Jake Stamps/The Bells

The team loses Graham and fellow senior Kevin Waller, but will bring back a core next season that includes Mills and point guard Layton Zinsmeister among others.

Zinsmeister said the players became more comfortable with each other as the season wore on, which they hopefully will be able to carry into next season.

“Throughout the season I have noticed our team improving in almost every way. We are starting to make the big shots and play together better,” he said. “We had a few new guys this year and it took some time to get the chemistry going but as of late we really have been playing well together.”

The Cru finished the season with an overall record of 17-9.

Author: Cody Weems