New student body president has high expectations

THE BELLS –By Wesley Ashton

Results are in for university student body president,  and next year’s SBP is sophomore engineering science major Christian Harper.
Voting took place March 3-6 after a long road of advertising, debating and reaching out to the students of the university.

Newly elected Student Body President Christian Harper (left) engages in a debate with junior Ryan Sewell. Harper has several items on his agenda that he hopes will improve student life on campus and eliminate social  barriers. Ande Scott/The Bells

Newly elected Student Body President Christian Harper (left) engages in a debate with junior Ryan Sewell. Harper has several items on his agenda that he hopes will improve student life on campus and eliminate social barriers. Ande Scott/The Bells

The campaign started with the student government presidential debate Feb. 27 when all four candidates talked about their different platforms.
“My previous affiliations with SGA include serving as both the freshmen class president and vice president,” Harper said. “I plan to address several issues, including campus dining, the housing process, creating more parking, making textbooks tax free and improving the chapel experience for everybody. Something else that is very dear to my heart is the bridging of the social gap between students and student athletes on this campus.”
Harper ran against junior psychology major Alex Aleman, junior international business major Jonathan Kendall and junior economics and marketing major Ryan Sewell. Candidates chalked the side-walks, posted on dorm doors and loaded tables with advertisements in hopes of representing the university’s student body. Ultimately on March 6,  the email went out that Harper had won.
“As student body president, I look forward to serving my fellow students as liaison between the student body and administration,” Harper said. “I endeavor to improve each student’s educational, social and spiritual experience here at UMHB.”
Harper is a football player at the university and uses that as a platform to get to know others. He wasn’t involved in SGA last year but hasn’t allowed that to stop him from staying up to date on current issues facing students.
“I didn’t think people really had issues with so many things,” Harper said. “Then I started asking what we could do better. I really found through SGA I could make a difference. Freshman year, I really got a feel for what I wanted to do here at UMHB. We need to go to the people to build community on the campus.”
Besides getting football players more involved on campus and reaching out  to them, Harper wants to try to make the chapel experience more appealing to students at the university through the addition of a band.

Students came out in support during voting week for the vision Harper has for the campus—the year to come will make his dreams of change that much closer.
“I like his idea of bringing a band into chapel and looking at the past bills that weren’t passed and seeing why they didn’t,” freshman cell biology and chemistry major Kristan Gomez said.  “I hope that the other candidates who didn’t win will help Christian become a good leader. I think he has the potential to be a great leader.”