Sport Spotlight: Thomas Orr

THE BELLS — Thomas Orr is a senior sport management major from Hutto, Texas, where he attended Hutto High School. Before joining the Cru, Orr attended Panola College in Texas and State Fair Community College in Missouri.

Senior sport management major Thomas Orr, a former player, now serves as student assistant basketball coach. Jake Stamps/The Bells

He played two seasons for the Cru and helped lead his team to the 2013 NCAA Division III National Championship Game last season. He now serves as the student assistant basketball coach.
Orr chose UMHB “for multiple reasons—basketball, the winning tradition is excellent here, it is also close to home so my parents can watch me play, and I just like the feel of the community walking around campus and the surrounding support that they have,” he said.
He talks about the change of roles.
“The transition was kind of hard, especially losing in the National Championship game. I kind of feel like I still have a little bit left to prove, but my time is up. It’s hard to say. Playing to now coaching… you are right there in a game. It’s like you’re injured and just waiting to get back on the court. But I have enjoyed the transition, and it feels good,” Orr said.
Throughout his basketball career, he has collected many favorite memories.
“My first one would be my senior year of high school when I scored a career high 41 points in a playoff game. My second one would be in the conference tournament against Hardin-Simmons where I scored 38 points, my career high at the college level. And then the national championship dunk of course,” he said.
After college, Thomas hasn’t made a final decision on what he wants to do. But basketball will surely be involved.
He said, “My dream job is to become a head basketball coach somewhere. I don’t know where. People always say they want to go to Duke or something like that, but I could go coach anywhere. As long as I am the head coach, I will be happy.”

Author: Jake Stamps