Holly Tucker shares talent, Voice

THE BELLS — Two years ago, 21-year-old Baylor student Holly Tucker auditioned for the TV show, The Voice, in Dallas, persuading each of the four coaches to turn around (indicating they wanted her on their team) while she sang. Tucker chose Blake Shelton as her coach, headed to California and eventually placed in the show’s final six.

Tucker took the stage Feb. 12 for chapel before a crowd of Crusaders. She flaunted black, glittery cowboy boots, which she explained were mailed to her by a supportive fan to wear on the show. She said was “excited to do a gig for people her own age.”

Sophomore marketing major Jessica Pitcaithly said the word passion best describes Tucker.

“Not only does she work hard towards her music, she is a Christian, and it is very inspiring,” Pitcaithly said.

Pitcaithly shares Tucker’s love for music and hopes to achieve songwriting success of her own one day.

“I definitely feel like I can relate to Holly Tucker. She’s in school like me, and I’m also an aspiring musician in the song writing department,” Pitcaithly said.

Tucker, a junior double speech communication and Spanish major, sang many well-known country songs, some of which she competed with on The Voice.

Accompanied by her guitarist, she belted out Sugarland’s hit, “Settling.” The captivated audience’s response encouraged her to speak about herself and her story in between songs.

Just days before one round of competition on The Voice, a vicious tornado ripped through Moore, Okla., devastating the town and calling for help and support from the rest of the country. Even though the potential for sizeable backlash was likely, Shelton and Tucker decided to use Tucker’s opening performance as an opportunity for prayer.

She performed Carrie Underwood’s rendition of “How Great Thou Art” to remind a distressed country about God’s unceasing presence.

Tucker said her faith is “a big part of who I am.” She wanted to be her most authentic self throughout the

TV competition. Tucker performed the same song before dismissing students at chapel.

Sophomore nursing major Lauren Garcia followed Tucker’s journey from start to finish that season on The Voice.

She was excited when she met Tucker after chapel.

“She is so sweet and is an amazing role model for young women,” Garcia said. “Her audition blew me away. I even have some of her covers on my phone.”

Although Tucker is just a little older than she, Garcia said, “It’s not weird, but amazing. To manage school and a music career … that’s a lot of work.”

In a post-elimination interview after her last appearance on the show, Tucker was gracious and humble.

“My time on The Voice was an incredible chapter in my life,” she said. “It opened my eyes as an artist, gave me more confidence to take the stage and propelled me further down the road to becoming the country music artist that I have been pursuing for much of my life.”

Author: Leah Bunkers