Students hit the hardwood with hopes of earning intramural glory

BELTON, TX – THE BELLS — Just when intramural sports couldn’t get any more exciting, students come up with  unbelievably creative team name. Hoops! I Did It Again!, Cru Chainz and Yao Know What I Ming just to name a few.
This year the number of players who registered for intramural basketball grew significantly from last year’s numbers.

Charkedra Randolph of Dunk Dynasty puts up a shot in a game against Hoops! I Did It Again! Campus Recreation has seen an increase in intramural participation this semester. Ande Scott/The Bells

Charkedra Randolph of Dunk Dynasty puts up a shot in a game against Hoops! I Did It Again! Ande Scott/The Bells

“Since I have been working for campus rec (this is my second year), this is definitely the most teams we’ve had,” senior math education major Shangrila Pathak said. “The women’s teams are twice as many as last year, and both men’s leagues reached the maximum amount of teams.”
That makes 12 teams in men’s three-on-three league, 14 teams in men’s five-on-five and seven teams in women’s three-on-three. This growing involvement could be attributed to the influx of new students, or perhaps students are beginning to realize that “ball is life” after all.
Although the campus recreation staff is glad about the large numbers they had sign up via imleagues.com, Pathak, who is also the intramural coordinator, said it has also posed some new challenges.
“The only difficult part with having so many teams is having enough time to allow teams to get plenty of games in,” Pathak said. “I love that we have so many students eager to play and stay active.”
Junior music education major Terry Livingston is playing intramural basketball for the first time. So far, he has enjoyed the season and is thankful for the opportunity to play.
“I’ve enjoyed getting to know some new people and having opportunities shooting around with some good guys,” he said. “I enjoy the competitiveness, but I also enjoy that we are ultimately out there to have some fun.”
Junior nursing major Taylor Frank is a veteran of intramural basketball. She is a returning member of the Chinchillas three-on-three women’s team. Frank said that playing for the same team has its benefits.
“It makes the experience better because we get the chance to grow in our friendships as well as our skills in basketball,” she said. “Knowing your teammates well makes a huge difference on the court because you can read them better. It’s definitely more fun that way.”

Intramurals_3 ANDE SCOTT

Campus Recreation has seen an increase in intramural participation this semester. Ande Scott/The Bells

Pathak hopes students and others will stay involved through any of the various campus rec events.
“I would encourage, not only students, but even faculty and staff to get involved with intramurals because it’s a great way to stay active and have fun with your peers.  It’s also a great escape from the busyness and stress of school or life in general.”

Author: Seth Stephens