Sport Spotlight: James Allen

THE BELLS — James Allen is a senior business management major from The Woodlands, Texas, where he attended College Park High School.
Allen has played a crucial role for the Cru in the past four seasons. Since his arrival, he has started in games every year and increased his numbers significantly.

Senior guard James Allen is focused on a conference tournament championship and another national tournament berth. Jake Stamps/The Bells

His freshman year, he averaged 8.5 points and 2.4 rebounds per game. His sophomore year, he totaled 8.8 points and 3.1 rebounds per game. His junior year he averaged 13.1 points per game. This season, he is averaging 19.3 points per game. Allen also holds the record for most steals at UMHB with many more games to be played.
Once Allen learned about UMHB, he stuck with his plan of hooping.
“I chose UMHB because I got recruited by one of the former players here,” he said.
Besides attending classes and playing ball, Allen enjoys being with his friends.
“Outside of basketball, I like to hang out with my friends and play video games. Me and my roommates like to play Super Smash Brothers on the Wii,” he said.
Allen also was a member of the 2012-13 Crusader basketball team that advanced to the NCAA Division III Men’s  College Basketball National Championship game, where the Cru fell to Amherst College 87-70.
Though there are many more memories to come, Allen talks about his most memorable.
“My favorite memory was going to the national championship my junior year. It was something we never accomplished before. It was a fun experience for us,” he said.
He talked about his favorite aspect of basketball.
“Just getting to play the sport and getting to play with new faces.”
What most don’t know about Allen is his dominant hand.
“I am left-handed, and most people do not know that,” he said.

llen drives hard to the lane and goes up for a successful lay-up as two UT Tyler players jump to contend the shot. Jake Stamps/The Bells

After college, Allen has set his ambitions on what he plans to do.
He said, “No dream job for me. (I) just want to raise a family and take care of that family.”

Author: Jake Stamps