A Letter from Student Body President Collin Davies

Spring. New Year. Second semester. Welcome back to Mary Hardin-Baylor, or if this is your first semester, a special welcome to you as you begin your journey here.
I am currently privileged to lead you and your fellow classmates as the student body president. This honor prompts me to think about students and this university now more than any other period of my education. For this I am grateful.
There are many reasons to be excited about being a student here, and I would like to urge you to continue to make Mary Hardin-Baylor an exciting and transformative experience for future students.
How should we make the most of our college experience? We quote scripture in times of excitement or deep sadness and claim the words as life, but how true the words of scripture are in all seasons.
Primarily, prioritize a relationship with the creator and author of all things. May your identity be in Jesus Christ and your confidence in him. This will prepare you for success in college and beyond.
You should also identify and pursue that which interests you most. There are many venues on campus that will develop you as an individual into a better-equipped learner and doer.
Do not forget about the community. For many of us, the setting of UMHB was a point of examination prior to school selection. Be sure to explore all opportunities whether on or off campus, and begin to pursue your goals.
Finally, invest in relationships. There will be very few settings quite like college for the remainder of your life. Use free time and the availability of others wisely. Continue to build old relationships and also begin new friendships. Learn to pour into relationships, but also learn from relationships.
Unsurprisingly, as student body president, I am constantly being challenged and sharpened by individuals with more experience and knowledge than myself. For the university in particular, there are many reasons for my contentment. I am grateful for the present diversity. I am thankful for the relationships that shape and support character. I am excited for the new and eager for the future.
I am indebted to the examples of leadership modeled on this campus by administrators, professors and staff members. Thank you for believing that I could lead the student body well and supporting me as an individual and the Student Government Association. Know that you are thought of highly, prayed for often and of interest to this university.
———————————————————————————-
Davies offers encouragement to students with this verse:
“And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ – to the glory and praise of God.”
Philippians 1: 9-11