Sport Spotlight: Bianca Patterson

Volleyball player Bianca Patterson is a junior math major from Killeen, Texas, and attended Harker Heights High School. Before transferring to UMHB, Patterson attended Navarro College. Patterson has added an extra threat to the Crusaders and has tallied  266 kills this season.

Junior middle hitter Bianca Patterson is focused on propelling the Crusaders to an ASC championship. Jake Stamps/The Bells

Off  the volleyball court, Patterson enjoys being with her friends.

“I like to hang out with my teammates, and I like to read,” she said.

Her favorite book is My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult.

Patterson and her teammates all have pregame rituals.

“I usually listen to “Man in the Mirror” by Michael Jackson before every game, and lately, our team has been doing crazy dances,” she said.

Besides sports, Patterson also has a passion for music.

“I play the piano, and I sing at my church,” she said.

After college, Patterson plans to go into coaching.

“My dream job is to be a high school volleyball coach. After college, I plan to maybe assist with my old high school volleyball coach,” she said.

Patterson attributes her playing style and competitive spirit to her mom’s advice growing up.

“When I was in fourth grade, my mom wanted to toughen me up. So she initially tried to sign me up for soccer, but the only sport in season was volleyball. So I started playing, and I’ve been playing ever since.”

patterson2_weblPatterson and her teammates have already posted the highest season win total of 28 wins in Division III Cru volleyball history.

They will be working to add more victories to their record when they travel to the University of Texas at Dallas where they will participate in the ASC Volleyball Championship Tournament Nov. 7-9.

Author: Jake Stamps