End It Week shows support

Students from the Freedom Movement on campus organized End It Week to help raise awareness about human trafficking in the United States.

The organization hosted several events throughout the week, including a screening of Nefarious: Merchant of Souls, a powerful documentary that exposes the alarming trends in modern sex slavery. From the very first scene, Nefarious draw viewers into the nightmare of sex slavery that hundreds of thousands experience daily.

Junior elementary education major Ellen Logan is a member of the Freedom Movement on campus, and the viewing was her first time to see the documentary.

“My heart was broken even more than before for these people. Even though I’ve heard so much of it, hearing it from people who experienced it, made it that much more real. I want to do more,”  she said.

Seeing the film encouraged Logan to find new ways to become involved in the fight against slavery.

“I have to do more. I can’t sit still any longer. I love bringing awareness, but that’s not enough for me anymore. You need to do more,” Logan said.

Sophomore business management major Nathan Gilmore is the president of the Cru Freedom Movement on campus. The organization plans to help bring an end to trafficking in the coming year.

“We will be teaming up with Unbound and Restore a Voice ministries this next fall to provide on-the-ground mission opportunities for college students to serve. We are excited about transitioning from a year of learning about this injustice to a year of getting our hands dirty and serving our local community,” Gilmore said.

Other events that occurred during the week included a worship night, a panel of speakers and taking over Focus on Wednesday.

“I think one of the biggest responses was everyone just wanting to do more than just raise awareness. Lots of students felt very much more informed. God definitely wrecked a lot of hearts Thursday night. Definitely a lot of bleeding hearts out there now to give these people the hope of Christ and help bring them out of this evil,” Logan said.

Students are encouraged to go to enditmovement.com to sign the pledge to help end human trafficking.

Gilmore said, “This campus absolutely embraced The Freedom Movement and showed us that they have a heart and conviction to help stop human trafficking.”

Author: Elissa Thompson