75th anniversary of Final Four to celebrate in Atlanta

With the NBA All-Star weekend coming to an end, the next big sporting event is March Madness. Get your brackets printed and pencils sharpened because this year the city of Atlanta, Ga., will be hosting three national tournaments at the same time.

The NCAA is celebrating the tournament’s 75th anniversary, and Atlanta will host the final games of the Division I, II and III Championships.

The Georgia Dome, home of the Atlanta Falcons, will host the Division I Final Four. The National Championship game will tip off April 8. Phillips Arena is home to the Atlanta Hawks, and will be the location of the Division II and III National Championship games. Both competitions will be played  April 7 and will be free admission to all who come out to watch the event.

The festivities will include a number of concerts with performances by KISS, Jimmy Buffett and the Black Keys.

Senior sport management major Jonathan Davis’ favorite time of the year is in March because of college basketball.

“Let me start by saying that I love good basketball, and March Madness brings out the best basketball all year long. Dominance, Cinderella stories, and collapses of big programs, it all adds up to the most exciting time of the year. For the 75th anniversary of the tourney, they are bringing in all divisions to Atlanta, and I wish more than anything that I could be there,” he said.

Junior sport management major Corbin Cochran hopes to attend the March Madness tournament.

“I think it’s a really cool idea for the final four of all three divisions to be hosted at the same time and place this year. It should make for a really unique atmosphere, especially since it’s also the 75th anniversary. I’m hoping that once the Cru makes it to Atlanta, I will get to go down there and experience it myself,” he said.

Junior math major Ryan Frusha is also excited about the tournament.

“I think it’s great. It will make the ‘madness’ all the more exciting. I wish I could be there to see it all go down,” he said.

Sophomore business management major Cedric Hudson is a wing for the Crusader basketball team. He speculated what it would be like to be playing in Atlanta with the other divisions.

“If we as UMHB were to be in the Final Four, that would be very exciting for me and my teammates because this would be the first time we have been there, and it would really show all the hard work we put in this whole season. It would be a great opportunity for us, but we know that we have to take the postseason one game at a time and not overlook anyone.”

Author: Jake Stamps