Fair promotes social work jobs

The Social Work Fair this past Friday gave social work majors the opportunity to look for an internship that will be completed during their  senior year.

Professor of social work and field director, Susan Hutchinson, is in charge of the annual event.

“It is about the opportunity for students to see the selection that we have regarding their year-long field internship. So they’ll be coming into their internships in the fall, and they’ll do two semesters,” she said.

Seventeen agencies were present at the fair for prospective interns to see where they might consider working during their year-long study.

“The field instructors that will be supervising the students come and have their booths, and the incoming students walk around and that way they are able to learn about the agency as well as meet their prospective field instructors,” Hutchinson said.

Senior social work major Joy Smedley, left, and alumna Stephanie Moon talk about internship opportunities at the Texas Baptist Children’s Home. Photo by Elissa Thompson/The Bells.

Junior social work major, Anjail Arthur, was thinking of working with the Bell County Social Work Program for the Mental Health  Indigent Defense.

“I am looking at all the agencies to see what’s out there. I want to work in the prison system with the inmates that are getting ready to go back into society and the reintegration process,”                 Arthur said.

Prospective interns were not the only ones at the fair. Some students who are currently interns were also present.

Senior social work major Chelsea Owens was at the fair representing the agency where she is doing her internship.

“I’m interning with the Children’s Advocacy Center in Belton, and I have a CASA case where I advocate for the rights of the child in court,” Owens said.

She observes forensic interviews and has also been able to help with group therapy for children who have been sexually abused.

“I love it. If I could go every day, I would. I chose where I wanted to do my internship after interviewing at three places,” she said.

While this is only an internship, Owens has an idea of what she would like to do with her major after graduation.

“I hope to work with abused children whether that is with CPS or being a guardian ad litem for the county,” she said.

Owens also gave some good advice for students who are looking for an internship related to social work.

She said, “Pray about it and go somewhere you are passionate about. If you’re not passionate about helping the people you’re working with, it won’t be enjoyable going 16 hours a week.”

Author: Elissa Thompson