Actors gather for 70th Golden Globe Awards

By Paola Nunez

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association chose Tina Fey and Amy Poehler as the hosts of the 70th annual Global Globes awards ceremony. Not only did the two introduce the 2013 winners, they also raked in 19.7 million viewers and kept them laughing throughout the show.

“Amy Poehler and Tina Fey made a great duo as hosts. I didn’t expect them to make me laugh as much as I did during their introduction to the Golden Globes,” said freshman Education major Tawnie Yeaw as she recollected her favorite parts of the show.

Winner of the Best Screenplay, Motion Picture globe was Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained, an award originally thought by many viewers to be presented to Tony Kushner’s Lincoln. In a backstage interview, Tarantino mentioned that, “What they’re (the audience) saying is I should soften it… they’re saying I should whitewash… and I never do that when it comes to my characters,” an aspect in

Django Unchained that may have given it the edge it needed to win.

The Best Television series, Comedy or Musical globe went to the actors from Girls, which beat out the top rated show The Big Bang Theory and three time Emmy-award comedy winner Modern Family.

Homeland won in the category of Best Television, Drama, receiving a globe for a second year in a row, beating out Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Downton Abbey, and The Newsroom.