Being too safe? Don’t be sorry

When parents tell you to do things like make sure the windows in your house are locked or to hide valuables under the seat when leaving them in the car, their suggestions often elicit a chuckle or an eye roll.

The abundant amount of concern feels unnecessary and even seems to verge on paranoia at times.

But after being welcomed back from the holiday break to find my house had been broken into, I realized just how valuable all of that “overprotective” advice really is. The old adage just might be true.

You really can’t ever be too careful.

While the intruder spent quite a bit of energy forcing his or her way through our back door, leaving its frame ripped from the wall, they left with nothing to show for it, all thanks to my roommate listening to her parents’ advice.

Locking the door doesn’t keep the intruders out. Senior mass communication/journalism major JC Jones learned that it is better to take every precaution than trust a lock. Photo by JC Jones/The Bells.

In spite of teasing from friends and from me about being overly paranoid, she loaded up our flat screen television the morning before we left for the month-long break after her dad suggested it would be a smart idea to bring it home.

We all scoffed at how silly it was. Who would come in and take it?

But when I realized someone had been in our house during our absence, my response was how thankful I was that she hadn’t listened to us. I don’t know where our TV would be right now if she had, but I’m pretty certain it wouldn’t be sitting in our living room feeding our appetites for the mindless programming we’ve come to love so much.

There’s a level of invincibility when you’re young and in college that causes us to throw caution to the wind because we don’t think certain things will actually happen to us. We go about our days, wrapped up in our classes and social lives with little thought to much else.

Most of the time, that works out just fine, but every once in a while, you realize caution isn’t such a drag.

Because of caution I’ll be watching Downton Abbey, Here Comes Honey Boo Boo and The Bachelor this week from the comfort of my couch.

And for that, I am eternally grateful.

Author: JC Jones