Disney purchase gives ‘New Hope’
Owned and published by UMHB, The Bells is a biweekly publication. This content was previously published in print on the Opinions page. Opinions expressed in this section do not necessarily reflect the views of the staff or the university.
Princesses, evil rulers thwarting plans and princes sweeping in to save the day.
Sounds like a normal Disney movie, but in a few years, a new story will be coming to screen again and this time with light sabers and Jedi.
On Oct. 30, The Walt Disney Company bought LucasFilm, Ltd., for $4.5 billion.
The company not only bought the Star Wars franchise, it received the entire portfolio from LucasFilms, including Indiana Jones.
So does pairing feel forced or will it become a Disney magic in the making?
Disney officials said they had been talking to George Lucas, founder of LucasFilms and director of the Star Wars films, about the purchase for a year now.
Disney is planning to release Star Wars Episode VII in 2015 with more films expected to continue the saga.
The company said it will release a new Star Wars film every one to three years.
Lucas will serve as a creative consultant for the next film, but plans to retire eventually.
“For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next,” Lucas said, in a statement. “It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers.”
The first Star Wars movie, A New Hope, was released in 1977 and starred Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher.
Since then Lucas has given the world five more iconic films with the last one being Revenge of the Sith, which was released in 2005.
So what is this new era of the iconic saga going to look like? Will Disney rewrite the ending so that it has a happily-ever-after ending?
Hundreds of books have been written that begin right from where the last movie finishes, but Disney said that the upcoming movie be an all-new story with no connection to the previous films.
With new technology for special effects, new episodes of the saga could improve the quality of the movies.
The first three films are more technologically savvy and the last three aren’t.
So the films will go from high in special effects, to low and then back to high?
Most fans wonder if it is a good idea to touch the film, while others are thrilled and some are undecided.
Enthusiasts are asking if original actors will be used from the last film, Return of the Jedi.
Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher said in an interview that they knew about the new movie and if asked, they would consider playing their characters.
Playing their original roles as the stars of the movie may be a little difficult since Ford is now 70, Hamill, 61 and Fisher, 56. They may work better as secondary characters.
On the other hand, if those stars aren’t used, that changes the dynamic of the last three films.
However the sequels turn out, the saga will always be a classic taking viewers into a galaxy far, far away.