Day of Solidarity for those with no voice

Cru for Life, a student organization devoted to raising awareness about the evils of abortion made its presence on campus known during the Day of Solidarity Oct. 16. Signs lined the perimeter of the quad informing students of surprising abortion statistics.

In addition to the signs, the consciousness of the issue was heightened by tables placed in various buildings where members of Cru for Life sat.

At the stations, passersby could pick up informational pamphlets and pieces of red duct tape on which the word “life” or “vida” was written.

Preparations for the day began well in advance. Sophomore English major Sarah Tipton has been a member of the group since her freshman year. She said Cru for Life had been looking forward to the event for some time.

Students participated in the Day of Solidarity to raise awareness about abortion. The campus event took place Oct. 16.

“Since before the semester started, we have been brainstorming ideas for Day of Solidarity,” she said. “Over the summer, one of our members made the signs that were out in the quad…. We really started hardcore on it about a month ago.”

The event culminated in the viewing of a documentary called WW2 Intelligence Test that compared abortion atrocities to those of Hitler’s infamous Holocaust.

According to Cru for Life, the event was a success and had an audience of more than 50 people.

Senior nursing major Stephanie Taylor was surprised and delighted to see such a large gathering.

She said, “I was really excited about the turnout. Our campus over the last few years has been kind of apathetic toward the issue of abortion, and we haven’t had a lot of good turnout rates at events like this so, I was really, really excited that we had all the seats filled.”

Taylor’s interest in advocating for the pro-life cause was sparked long before she arrived at UMHB.

“In junior high and high school, I always was really interested about what abortion was, but we never really talked about it,” she said. “I went to a Christian high school, and a couple people came and talked about a pregnancy center, so I started researching it, and I was just in awe that this was going on and nobody was talking about it, not even the church.”

The audience was receptive to the documentary. Kendall Phillips, a sophomore music major said the film reinforced what she already believed about abortion.

“Since I am already fairly educated about abortion, I would say that it inspired me more than enlightened me,” she said.

Though the short movie was meant to educate its viewers, it provided those who watched it with practical reasoning techniques that help to support their position.

Phillips said, “The film taught me how to defend my stance on abortion using real life scenarios and most importantly, biblical reasoning. I was always sort of on the fence when it came to the topic of rape and abortion, but I will always remember one quote from the movie that has drastically opened my eyes and will help me explain to others… ‘Why would you blame the child for the sin of the father?’”

A distinguishing feature of the documentary is its comparison of abortion to the Holocaust. During the war, the general population was unaware of the horrors of the Nazi death camps. It wasn’t until tours of the facilities were given that the public knew the full extent of Hitler’s terror.

The film suggested that average Americans have no idea how many abortions take place around them every day.

Phillips said, “What struck me most about the film was how relatable abortion and the Holocaust are. I had never considered to compare the two, and the resemblance is shocking and downright scary.”

Author: Antonio Hebert