Broadway & Opera Gala talents shine

Where can you go in the small town of Belton to see a Broadway show? Usually nowhere. But last weekend the university made an exception by creating a night filled with great music and talented musicians.

The Opera and Theatre program presented a variety of music from Broadway shows as well as arias and other pieces from famous operas. The show was performed in Presser Hall from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.

“My favorite piece that I performed is a musical theater piece called ‘Home’ from Beauty and the Beast,” senior vocal performance major Madaline Garcia said. “I love this song because it is a beautiful arrangement with meaningful lyrics.”

Members of the opera and theater program perform a variety of pieces made famous by Broadway musicals and operas. Photo by Deanna Dawdy/The Bells.

Senior vocal performance major Samuel Davis II also enjoyed the number he performed.

“My favorite song is my aria (‘Bella sicome un angelo’) from the opera Don Pasquale because I get to be expressive and have fun with a comic role,” he said.

Other pieces performed were “Something’s Coming” and “Tonight” from West Side Story, “Libiamo” from La Traviata, and “Best of All Possible Worlds” from Candide.

Other numbers were included from Mozart’s Cosi Fan Tutte and Don Giovanni.

Junior vocal performance major Josiah Davis finds the meaning behind his aria “Donne Mie La Fate a Tanti” from Cosi Fan Tutte interesting.

“It’s my favorite piece that I performed. Guglielmo sings this piece after his wife had given up her constancy and cheated on him with his supposed best friend, Ferrando. The irony is that he had already successfully seduced Ferrando’s wife without a second thought. The piece talks about how women are all alike, and despite gestures of help and friendship still ‘cheat on every single one of us.’”

Davis is grateful that he and the older members already knew the songs.

“A number of the pieces we have learned and performed at prior dates, but we did have a large incoming freshman class that we had to get up to speed on the group numbers,” he said.

Although time was short, music professors George and Penny Hogan, along with accompanist Nelda Milligan, made it possible to put the show together.

“George Hogan, and his wife, Penny Hogan, are the architects of the great productions that come out of this small school,” Davis said.

Garcia is also grateful for her mentors.

“They’ve helped us, not only with the technical aspects of the song, but also with finding the meaning behind what we are singing to help bring the music to life.”

Junior nursing major Kaylynn Armstrong enjoyed the show immensely.

“I recognized some of the Broadway songs, and the singers definitely did the songs justice. Everyone was so talented and performed so well as a group. I hope they do more shows like this one in the future.”

Author: Jenna Magness

Bio info coming soon!