Seniors paint years of memories

From oil painting to graphic design, seniors Ellen Buhrow,  Abigail Davidhizar and Alec MacLaughlin have been working throughout their college careers to create a display for their final exam. Their exhibit will run April 30 to May 5 in the Tyson Art Gallery on the second floor of the Townsend Library.

Their college pilgrimage comes to a close with their last art exhibit on campus.

“The senior exhibition is the capstone event for an art major. After four years, we expect that they put together a body of mature work based on their interests,” said Ted Barnes, dean of the College of Visual and Performing Arts and who oversees the exhibitions every year. “I think you’ll see that it will be an interesting show.”

Davidhizar is an art major with an emphasis in graphic design.  Because of her area of expertise, her work will range from wall-size murals she created for the new field house, to posters of the Miss UMHB Pageant last year.

“I had to go back and, of course, tweak my work, but for the most part it’s been work that I’ve done throughout my classes, which is a relief when you think about doing all new work for a theme,” Davidhizar said.

A compilation of various paintings made by students is put on display in Townsend Library. Photo by Brittany Montgomery.

A cherished memory of her time at UMHB is the trip she  took to Paris last May.

“My favorite part was just having a map in my hand and figuring out the city,” she said.

Also exhibited will be Mac Laughlin’s digital graphic design work. Presenting alongside them is Buhrow, who created a series of paintings about love. Her idea was to capture the emotion between couples.

“All of my work is of either engaged or married couples arranged in a way that you can see the intimacy in their eyes or in their touch. I also wanted to take it to another level with older couples who have passed that stage of being in love, but they still have that connection,” Buhrow said.

Although she is recently engaged, she insists this had nothing to do with the theme she chose.

“My fiance and I have been dating for three and a half years, so he’s been with me through the entire series. I didn’t think about it specifically, but I think that did help me understand what those couples were feeling,” she said.

After graduation, Buhrow wants to become an art professor, hoping to glorify God through her work.

She said, “It’s my favorite thing to be down in the middle of the night working on a painting. I think that has a lot to do with the support system that the faculty and students give each other. I’m grateful to have had them for four years. I’m  really sad to say goodbye.”

Author: Katie Maze