Baseball draws to bittersweet close for graduating seniors

With many seniors on the team this year, this season was bittersweet for Cru baseball.

“This season means so much to me because this might be the last time I ever get to play,” senior marketing major and catcher Chris Joshlin said. “I am trying to put everything I have into it and trying to enjoy it as much as possible especially with my teammates because they are some great guys. I am very blessed to have the teammates I do on this team.”

Senior sport management major and first baseman Seth Lynn also values this season, his last time to play the game at the college level.

“Coming into this season I knew this would be the end of my playing career, and I wanted to make sure I left everything on the field. We have a lot of seniors this year, and we all want to go out on top,” he said.

After a roller coaster start to the season the end of March brought a slump for the team, but after the double-header against Sul Ross April 6, the Cru went on to win their next seven games.

Junior second baseman Seth Mogavero slides into home plate in the second game of the double-header against McMurry. Photo by Brooke Morgan.

“With the game of baseball, you can do everything right and still fail. That’s the beauty of this game. We did a lot of good things during that six-game losing streak, but we still ended up losing,” Joshlin said. “It’s not about how you start. It’s about how you finish.”

The determination of the team over the season aided players to being able to regroup for the remainder of the season.

“We haven’t stopped working hard all season,” Lynn said. “As a team, we have been through a lot. We’ve had probably the worst luck you could imagine, but we haven’t given up, and that shows a lot about each person’s character.”

April 20-21 the Cru faced McMurry in one of the most crucial series of the season. The three games determined whether or not the team would make it to the conference tournament.

“The series against McMurry is probably the most important series I have ever been a part of at UMHB. We have to play the best we have all year,” Joshlin said.

In order to secure a spot in postseason play, the Cru needed to win all three games in the series.

Friday night the team posted a 6-0 score over the Warhawks when senior pitcher Cameron Arnett threw a complete-game shutout.

However, in the first game of the double-header on Saturday, the Cru lost by one with a 2-1 final score. Junior pitcher Chance Ryan also had a complete game and only gave up four hits.

In the second game of the double header, the Cru came back in the tenth inning to win over McMurry 6-5 with Tyler Wicks scoring from Zach Young and Braden Embry singles.

Senior business administration major and pitcher Trevor Alaniz, along with the rest of the team, is proud of the season they had, but disappointed it had to come to an early end.

“This season meant a lot. I’ve been playing baseball my whole life so I’m glad I can end it with this group of guys,” he said. “The season didn’t end up going the way we wanted, but I wouldn’t have wanted to spend my last year with any other group of guys. Even with me being injured for the first time ever, they’ve made it fun and special.”

Author: Brooke Morgan