Golf teams prepare for start of season

With the spring season coming up fast, the men’s and women’s golf teams are preparing for what they hope will be another successful outcome.

During the fall season, the Crusaders won two out of the four tournaments they played. They finished by winning their last contest, the Schreiner Fall Classic, over host Schreiner University by four strokes.

In the latest rankings from Golfstat.com, the Crusaders are ranked 24 in the nation in Division III.

Head men’s Coach Aaron Rodeffer is ready for the season to start even though the team lost senior Johnathan Sustaita over the break.

“Were trying to build on the momentum from the fall season, despite the loss of Johnathan. It’s hard to replace someone like that, but it allows somebody else on the roster to step up and show their contribution to the team,” Rodeffer said.

Senior pre-physical therapy major Mike McQuaid practices his swing in preparation for the first tournament Feb. 27-28. Photo by Jake Stamps.

The next tournament for the men is the UMHB Spring Invitational at Wildflower Country Club in Temple, Feb. 27-28. The Crusaders have won the tournament three times in a row and hope to do the same this time.

Senior pre-physical therapy major Mike McQuaid is eager for the tournaments to start.

“I’m excited to get the season rolling, especially since our first tournament is our home one. We’ve never lost it the three years I’ve been here, so it would be pretty cool to win it all four years,” he said.

McQuaid is aiming not to let his team down as the lone senior, hoping for another conference title.

“It’s been a crazy ride, and I was lucky to win the conference tournament my freshman year. This being my last year, I’m making sure I don’t take anything for granted, and I’m enjoying every part of the season. Whenever I don’t feel like going to 6 a.m. workouts, I tell myself I’m going to miss it when I’m gone.  It would be amazing to end my college career with another conference tournament victory and a trip to the national tournament,” he said.

During the fall season for the Lady Cru, the team won three out of four tournaments, but won the division III title in all four.

Golfstat.com recognized their great performances and in the latest update, they ranked them 14 in the nation in Division III.

Head women’s Coach Darla Kirby wants to keep the goal level high for the spring season.

“We want to continue the level of play, with what we were doing in the fall. We won three out of four tournaments, and we want to get better to win conference to go to the national tournament in Indiana,” she said.

Freshman education major Victoria Thane agrees with Kirby on the team’s objectives for the season.

“Our goal is to take it one shot at a time and focus on being the best we can be on that given day for our team’s benefit. If we focus and be all we’re capable of, we will accomplish a consecutive conference championship and again contend at the national level,” she said.

The team’s first tournament is the UMHB Spring Invitational at Stone Tree Golf Course in Killeen Feb. 27-28.

Sophomore business administration major Sara Eckert speaks for the team when saying they are excited for the first match to begin.

“We started practice last week, so everyone is still getting in the groove of things, but our first tournament is less than two weeks away, so we have a lot to do to prepare ourselves,” she said.

Author: Jake Stamps