Campus wide support for sanctity of life

Sunday, Jan. 22 marked another year of events recognizing the date when the American government began allowing women  the right to choose whether or not to keep their unborn children.

It was also the anniversary of the famous Roe vs. Wade decision.

Now, 39 years and more than 50,000,000 aborted babies later, this generation is a quarter less than what it could have been.

It is during the spring semester that students and faculty begin to raise awareness to the ever-so-powerful political and social topic of abortion.

This past Friday red flags could be seen across the quad, each flag symbolizing 50,000 aborted babies, enough placed in the ground to account for all 50 million.

Students will duct tape their mouths honoring the unborn who could not speak for themselves, and a guest speaker will appear in chapel with a message about abortion.

The passing of the sonogram bill in 2011 will be a major celebratory issue this year. It requires demands that every woman who enters an abortion clinic with intentions to have an abortion must first be shown a sonogram image of the child before any procedures take place.

Statistics show that 70-80 percent of mothers who see the heartbeat of their unborn child decide not to go through with an abortion. With abortion being such a sensitive and controversial issue, University Chaplain and adviser of Cru for Life, George Loutherback, hopes that those who are pro-life will embrace it.

He said, “I hope that people come away from this with a sense of conviction. Say, ‘I believe in this and I’m going to take a stand and I’m going to learn what I can.”

With elections coming up, he wants students to become educated on this issue.

Loutherback said, “I’m going to learn what I can about which political candidates are pro-choice and pro-life, and I’m going to use that as a bench mark of who I want to vote for.’ Be convicted enough to learn what you can so that you can take a stand and make a difference.”

Between political talk about abortion and different opinions in society, it can be hard to pick one idea about abortion and stick with it considering the many beliefs that exist. But for one biologist, the issue  is all plainly spelled out.

Chair for the Department of Biology Dr. Kathleen Wood,  said, “I just go with what I read and understand out of the scriptures. A human life starts at conception. There is no doubt about it that when you have an egg and a sperm come together, they produce life.”

For anyone who has had an abortion, or knows someone who has, the psychological toll can be severe.

Founder of Women for Life International and UMHB  alumna Molly S. White said, “Healing from abortion is long and painful. Twenty-five years have passed, and now I think of the grandchildren that I will be missing because two of my children were aborted.”

White is a pro-life lobbyist and among her achievements, she leads workshops in New York as well as many abortion awareness campaigns. Wood said demeaning life at any stage is unacceptable.

She said, “What are we as a society saying about how important lives are? If we begin cheapening life at any level, then we run the risk of cheapening it at all levels. Life at all levels, whether you are mentally handicapped, old or whether you are so young that you can’t even speak up for yourself yet. Everyone needs to get involved because it’s your life. We’re talking about your life.”

Author: Kirby Franze