Most wins for volleyball in history

The volleyball games were the place to be this season, considering the girls are 18-7 overall, the most wins for Cru volleyball since the program began.

After being seeded in second place for the East in the American Southwestern Conference, things are looking up for team members as they will go on to tournament play in Richardson Nov. 3-5. If they manage to pull off a win during the tournament, they could advance to nationals.

Volleyball Head Coach Rob Frost said, “I feel like it’s going great. We came in good shape. If we can hit 20 wins this season, that will be huge for a college volleyball team.”

All of their off season work has helped them get to the spot where they are today.

“The amount of wins that we’ve had this year was a result of last spring and all the way through the summer with a lot of conditioning and weight training and the girls playing pick-up. We’re seeing a lot of their effort unfold and come together here,” he said.

With the players at the top of their game, they look forward to the conference and having the chance to go to regionals. With three weekends on the road for matches this season, at one point the team  spent 36 hours on the bus during a 10-day span.

Frost said, “We’ve done a really good job of staying physically and mentally strong through all of that.”

Freshman outside hitter Sophia Alexiou prepares to hit the ball against LeTourneau University at the Oct. 21 game. The Lady Cru went on to defeat the YellowJackets 3-1. The women clinched the second place in the East Division of the ASC. Photo by Christian Hernandez.

Another exciting landmark for the team was recently when one of the players was named offensive player of the week by the ASC. The Cru have had several players receive this special award.

Sophomore accounting and economics major Kimberly Smidovec said, “It was really a blessing to get that. I’ve been working really hard all year, so I never really expected it, but it was such a big honor to get it. I was really happy.”

Frost said, “She has been hitting close to 300 or above for most of the matches, which is really good for a hitter in our conference. She’s been consistent for us and doing a really good job.”

Although the players want to win regionals, some want to do it for reasons other than just the title.

Junior education major Tina Miller said, “The only thing I see us working on is getting a ring. I want to do it for myself and for the team, but I also want to do it for the seniors that have been here.”

Miller explains that things started off rough for seniors who were on the team the past few years, with matches lost and poor attendance at games.

“Now this year winning so many games, I think we can do it. I think we can win this conference tournament and go on further than that.”

With the season coming to an end, several senior players will not be returning. However, many new freshman will be joining the team as the seniors graduate.

Senior organizational management and communication major Jasmine Austin said, “I have spent all four years with these girls. We have been through players coming and going and have watched each other grow, so I have a special place in my heart for them.”

Not only has her teammates and coach impacted her on the court, but also throughout her life as well.

“They’ve contributed greatly to both the team and my life. The bond I have with the team is very unique and special because I am genuinely friends with every single girl on the team,” Austin said. “We value our individual friendships which makes us stronger as a whole.”

Author: Kirby Franze