Modern Warfare 3: Coming soon to game centers

By Jake Stamps

Gamers across the country may not be in class next week due to the new release of Infinity Ward’s along with Sledgehammers Games’ new Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.

Nielsen’s Top 20 Games to Watch rates this as “the most anticipated game” of the 2011 holiday season. The game will hit shelves Nov. 8.

The story line takes place where Modern Warfare 2 left off, trying to prevent World War III. As the campaign begins, the war starts and expands into countries all over Europe. England, France and Germany are some of the locations where crucial battles will take place.

The two other game types will be returning as well: Special Ops and multiplayer. Special Ops will be back with new content containing maps, missions and levels to unlock.

Senior finance major Ramon Aguirre shares his opinion about the game. “I like the campaign and Special Ops, but what keeps me playing is the multiplayer game style. I love the competition that exists as well as being able to play with friends.”

The multiplayer game has been revamped into a new style of play with new game types, kill streaks and perks. It will also feature the beloved zombie game.

The gamer will have the option of having kicks, focus and attachments that will be added when a player progresses in ranks and kills. These features will make the game more realistic as a player shoots a gun.

Long lines are sure to form at local Walmarts, Best Buys, GameStops and other stores by Nov. 8 as fans try to be first for the next chapter in their Call of Duty series.

Sophomore pre-physical therapy major Michael Teague will attend the midnight premiere of the game at Walmart.

“I’m not what you’d call a big-time gamer, but I am a huge fan of the Call of Duty series. You can bet I’ll be getting Modern Warfare 3 as soon as it comes out,” he said.

Sophomore accounting major Andrew Berg already purchased his game in advance at GameStop.

“Once I found out about the game, I went to GameStop and pre-ordered it. I cannot wait to play it. The Modern Warfare series is my favorite,” he said.

Along with the release of Modern Warfare 3, is the opportunity to subscribe to Call of Duty: Elite. There is a fee as well as paid Web based service that allows players to look at their statistics in various ways. Also included is a video community that will allow them to share and view game clips and compete to win in-game and real life prizes.

The local Belton GameStop has already started preparing for the midnight release.  Sophomore nursing major Penelope Kittel works at the store.

“We have been taking pre-orders for almost a year. We also are hoping to put together a mini paint ball game and serve food for the midnight release itself,“ she said.