Danger at 9th and College

By Terryn Kelly

If you are one of the many students who fear getting your legs knocked off while walking across campus streets, you are not alone. Although there is a speed limit while driving around on campus, it seems some drivers are going well above 30 mph.

A dangerous intersection is at 9th and College streets. Where only stop signs and fading white stripes mark the crosswalks. Many universities have actual stop lights at such intersections to regulate traffic and provide a safer crossing.

Yes, we were all taught in grade school to look both ways before crossing the street, but they never said what happens when you look both ways and a car still comes out of nowhere and nearly runs you over.

Junior interdisciplinary studies major Charles Hitchens feels unsafe when using crosswalks.

“At times I do not feel safe when I am walking because half of the time people do not look where they are going while driving. I would prefer the school look into getting stop lights,” he said. “I would have a security guard out directing traffic at all times. That way it will be safer for students to get across without interrupting traffic and for drivers to drive safely,” Hitchens said.

Sophomore nursing major Shelby Ashley thinks that both pedestrians and drivers should be aware.

“When driving through the intersections, I stop at the stop signs and look for pedestrians. If I see them, I’ll wave… them to go. I try not to be distracted when driving on campus because some people just don’t pay attention,” she said. “I almost hit a guy the other day because he just darted out on his bicycle from in between two cars in line at the stop sign. He put himself in a dangerous predicament by crossing somewhere other than a crosswalk,” Ashley said.

She thinks the   problems at the crosswalk can be alleviated if people are educated on how to cross the street safely.

Senior performance studies major Lauryn McCoy agrees that a stoplight should be put into place soon because there is great chance that an unfortunate accident will happen sooner or later.

“All too often people wait too long to do something about traffic problems until someone is seriously hurt or injured. Why not take the steps now to prevent such a horrible thing from happening?” she asked.

Stop lights or crossing guards would be a nice addition to the school crosswalks and would have an added element of safety.