Alumnus signed with Green Bay Blizzards of indoor football league

One of the most versatile players in Cru football history played in the Indoor Football League this past season.

Alumnus Bryson Tucker spent most of his time as a defensive back for the Crusaders, but he contributed on either side of the game.

“Bryson was a very unselfish player who played both offense and defense depending on where the team needed him to play,” Head Coach Pete Fredenburg said.

Tucker has been the only Cru player to have touchdowns in six different ways during his four-year career at UMHB. He was also chosen to the American Southwest Conference All-Conference three times.

“It is very rewarding to see the hard work those players put in every day pay off with the opportunity to play professionally,” Sports Information Director Jon Wallin said. “We are proud to have members of the Cru advance to the professional ranks, and it just helps get the name of UMHB football out to the public.”

With offers to play in the IFL since February, Tucker had a tough decision to make. It was important to him to graduate with his sport management degree before he signed a professional contract.

On May 11, Tucker signed to play for the Green Bay Blizzards, the indoor team for the Packers.

“I wanted to make sure I graduated before I made the decision to move on to play football,” Tucker said. “Once that happened, I went (to Green Bay) in mid-season and played with them the rest of the season.”

Although the basics of the game are the same from college to the indoor league, one big difference is timing.

“The game is a lot faster indoors. The speed of the game is really the biggest difference, especially with the timing for the quarterback and receivers,” Tucker said. 

One of the most rewarding parts for Tucker was the loyalty of the Blizzard fans and the interaction he was able to have with each of them after the games.

“You really get to share the experience with the fans with them being right there on top of the field,” he said. “The fans are just as loyal to us as they are the Packers and love both of the teams.”

Although the season ended in July, Tucker is thankful for the time he was able to spend with the team.

“It was an experience that I wouldn’t trade for anything. I got to play with a lot of guys that I watched on TV, so that was pretty cool,” he said. 

Tucker wants to continue his football career and eventually open his own sport management company that helps to recruit athletes at smaller schools.

“Right now I’m trying to get into the Canadian Football League, and my dream is to eventually play in the NFL,” Tucker said.

Wherever he chooses to continue his career, he always has the support and loyalty of the Cru.

“He did some amazing things here, and I knew he would be successful whatever career he chose,” Wallin said. “I am thrilled that his hard work has paid off with this opportunity, and I know that going through the Cru football program helped prepare him to make the most of his chance. I wish him all the luck and success in the world.”

Author: Brooke Morgan