New coach, season goals set high

With a new head coach from Bowling Green State University, the Lady Cru are looking to put the last season behind them and start afresh.

Rob Frost joined the volleyball team in February and has been working with them on their game ever since. Coming from a career at bigger schools, Frost has added something new to the Lady Cru.

“His experience has brought us so much,” senior exercise and sport science major and setter Anissa Garcia said. “He has so much passion for volleyball, and you can tell that he genuinely cares for every one of us, not only for volleyball, but off the court as well. His confidence, experience and work ethic has really turned us around.”

Although Frost wasn’t looking to move to Texas or a D-3 school, this is where he felt God was leading him next in his coaching career.

“I think coming to UMHB was the result of a lot of prayer,” he said. “I had one opinion of what was best for me and where I wanted to go. Finally, I prayed and told God I would go wherever and submitted.”

The women on the team are glad he made the move. He has also helped the team become closer to their end of the season goal of winning the ASC title.  

“We have the tools to be good this year. We have a tremendous amount of talent, and we have a coach that knows how to get that talent and put it together to make us the best we can be,” senior exercise and sport science and psychology major and middle Sara Hayward said.

The Lady Cru volleyball practice hitting drills in an afternoon workout to get ready for their upcoming games. The team started preseason practice in February after the new Head Coach Rob Frost was hired to aid them both on and off the court. Photo by Brooke Morgan.

Frost believes it is important to keep Christ in everything the team does and to pray before each practice. This has made a difference to the players and helped them grow closer.

“Coach has brought so much to the team with keeping our team centered on Christ and pushing us,” Garcia said.  “With him, we’ve completely done a 180, and everything is different, the environment of the team, the chemistry, and we are working so much harder together. It’s all because of him. We are just truly blessed to have him.”

This is the year that the Lady Cru want to take it all the way and make a name for their team. Frost knows it is possible and wants their goals to be met now, not in two or four years.

“The girls here want to win and work hard, so that makes my job great. I’ve got a great group of girls to work with,” he said.

The Lady Cru compeated in the Austin College Tournament Sept. 9 and 10. They won three games and lost the final one in a close five-game match against Austin College. 

“I’m really excited to see what will happen with the season. Where we’ve been and where we are now is night and day,” Hayward said. “People ask me if we are going to be good this year and I just say, ‘Come to the games and you’ll see for yourself.’”

Author: Brooke Morgan