Cru football isn’t wasting the spring

During the spring semester, members of the football program show their dedication for
the sport through early morning strength and conditioning practices.

Off season is a time when players can prove to the coaches what they’re capable of. Each
morning brings tough auxiliary and agility workouts for the football players trying to establish a
good standing.

Their commitment levels are tested by the hard workouts as well as the time they take
place. Players awaken every morning before the sun to “shine” for the coaches.

The athletes work out five times a week. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays are the designated days for lifting weights. Tuesdays are assigned for different types of running drills, and the team usually spends Thursdays either running or participating in a game of fleet ball.
The object of fleet ball is a fun mix of football and ultimate Frisbee while being a tough workout

in its own.

Sophomore sport management major Everett Morrow sees off season as a time to
strengthen his mind and physique as well as grow as a team.

“It’s the time that we really become closer and form stronger bonds. It’s where
brotherhood is created,” he said.

Morrow developed an optimistic perspective on the matter.

“My favorite part of workout is the feeling of accomplishment you receive after you’re
done. Each day the coaches push us to our limits and challenge us to work harder. I also like
being around my teammates and working hard together to reach our goals,” he said.
Morrow admitted to his favorite workout being bench, while squat and front squat tend to
be more painful.

Sophomore exercise and sport science major Jordan Mullinix enjoys how players can
challenge each other to do better.

“My favorite part of workout is when we do competition. Whether it’s fleet ball or a fifth
relay, I like to work as a team and compete against each other.”

Mullinix finds confidence in the agility drills.

“I’m obviously not the biggest guy on the team, but I feel I can run all right. When we do
workouts that involve running, I’m usually not too worried about it,” he said.

Throughout these exhilarating drills, coaches keep track of each individual. Doing well in
the exercises will determine who receives a spot on the football team. Athletes who show
commitment in all aspects gain more respect than those who choose to slack off.
Sophomore business administration major Lance Larsen uses off season to prove how
dedicated he is to the sport.

Like Mullinix, Larsen admitted to enjoying the competition drills as well.

“Whether it’s running, lifting, agility or a combination of the three, being able to compete with my fellow teammates side by side helps me to grow better as an athlete. We push each other to be the best that we can be,” he said.

In all, Larsen enjoys the rivalry in contrast with team strengthening to prepare him for
next season.

He said, “This is the time of year where we show our coaches how much we’re willing to
put forth for the team.”

Author: Sarah Rank