Students honored with art exhibition

An art exhibit is something for people to express themselves and display their hours of work whether in drawing, painting, sculpting or photography. The UMHB art department recently sponsored a student art exhibit in the Arla Ray Tyson Art Gallery in the Townsend Library.

More than 70 pieces of art, there were many more submitted than just the ones shown. Forty-one students submitted their pieces for the exhibit, but only 30 had their artworks     selected.

Dean of the fine arts department, Ted Barnes, knows that it is an accomplishment for the students whose art is shown.

“It is always an honor to be selected for a juried exhibition. It validates the artist and the work to be judged into an exhibition by a professional juror or critic who has a noted reputation,” he said.

“Jenny” by Lauren Cross

“Jenny” by Lauren Cross

Out of all the pieces that were entered, several honorable mentions were given along with a third, second, first place and best of show award.

Junior fine arts major with an emphasis in visual communications Lauren Cross won first place for her charcoal piece named “Jenny.”

“I started her during the spring semester last year and finished her by the end of the summer. I was too focused on art classes to really focus on her,” she said.

Cross created “Jenny” by using a method that she happened to stumble upon while in the process of creating her.

“She is a charcoal drawing that I drew starting with a completely blacked out piece of paper, and I just started erasing the charcoal to create her face. Basically it’s a process of taking away and adding back charcoal,” she said.

Another award winner in the display is a honorable mention for art education major Jamie Stephens. She entered a piece of art depicting a little girl with wind blowing in her hair drawn completely by pen.

“I think I did good to get honorable mention seeing I’m only a freshman,” she said.

Being an artist of any kind allows people to express themselves. For Cross, her artwork is usually of materials she is comfortable with.

“Typically I work with subjects that are attractive or interesting to me. It’s usually things I love, or that I find neat,” she said. “I love people, so I am constantly using people as my subject matter.”

This year’s judge was Tim High, Associate Professor of Art at UT. High’s work has been shown regionally, nationally and internationally in several kinds of exhibitions.

Having a student art show where Crusaders can publicly show their hard work and final project is an accomplishment for any person.

“This annual exhibition publicly showcases the best talent and best artwork produced by UMHB art students which was made throughout the academic year,” Barnes said. “The exhibition also gives our art students the experience of submitting works to a juried exhibition within a professional setting.”

Author: Stacy Fannin

Stacy Fannin is a junior mass communication/journalism major and is the sports editor for the newspaper. She is from Cedar Park, Texas, where she lives with her mom, little sister and adorable cat, Dusty. Stacy enjoys being with family and friends. Some of her favorite things are chocolate, Dr. Pepper, the Green Bay Packers, Texas and England. Stacy enjoys eating junk food, being around family and friends (and her cat), and talking on her phone named Jeffrey. She is a huge fan of Dr. Pepper, chocolate and of course, the Green Bay Packers!