Harris to take office

He can flip his eye lids inside out, loves eating cheese enchiladas and has trophies from turtle racing. He is junior international business major Kassidy Harris and is now adding student body president to his list of feats.

The newly elected Harris is often described as a servant leader, personable, loyal, determined and passionate.

Director of Student Organizations Kristy Brischke describes Harris as eager.

“My first memory of him is before he transferred in last year. He called me so many times about Welcome Week and asked so many different questions,” she said. “He just seemed so eager, and I think that will transfer into his work ethic and work in Student Government Association in general.”

Harris has a list of several ideas he would like to propose during his presidency, but overall his main focus is servant leadership and the encouragement of unity among organizations.

Junior international business major Kassidy Harris stacks chairs at the Belton Christian Youth Center during the campus service event Reaching Out. Harris won the election to be student body president for the upcoming academic year. Photo by Brittany Montgomery

“It is really hard to say that I am going to change a lot of things on campus because UMHB is … amazing,” he said. “However, we have so many organizations that there is a split, and I really hope to bring unity to the campus.”

One of his ideas is to purchase several golf carts to use as transportation once the university closes Moore Avenue by the chapel and King Street.

“Since we are not big enough to have buses, why not have golf carts that will carry people around,” he said. “It could offer more work study positions and help students get to class.”

As student body president, Harris will oversee the executive cabinet by planning and running the meetings as well as representing the student voice for many committees.

Sophomore social work major Caitlin Hiett will serve under Harris as the internal vice president and is looking forward to working with him.

“I was very happy to find out that Kassidy was elected as student body president,” she said. “He wants to be someone personable that can walk alongside the student body and serve and encourage them throughout the remainder of his college career.”

The voters were behind Harris as well. Harris beat the other six candidates in the election with 32.5% of the votes and the runner-up pulling in 12.6%.

Because of his love for UMHB and his desire to serve, Harris is currently involved in many different activities on campus such as Welcome Week steering committee, Stunt Night steering committee, Baptist Student Ministries Drama Ministries, Search Cru and Student Foundations.

Brischke believes that Harris will be able to balance all the activities but knows from experience that he will have to start choosing.

“I don’t want the student body president to be only involved in SGA. I want them to do other things as well,” she said.

Prior to being elected, Harris made a promise during the presidential debates that he would narrow down his involvement in university activities, and he already has a plan in place.

“I am going to finish all the activities I am involved with this semester because I don’t want to leave them hanging,” he said. “Starting next semester I will only be involved in Missions Emphasis Week and Student Government Association.”

Currently, the position of student body president is in transition, and by the middle of April Harris will accept full responsibility from senior international business major Tommy Wilson.

His first act in office will be to fill his executive cabinet. Mitchell Goodman was already chosen as the external vice president for the 2011-2012 school year. The other five positions have not been filled.

Harris is ready to accept the title and all the hard work that comes with it.

“I am willing to make the sacrifices,” he said. “Everything I am involved in, I am doing it because I enjoy it and have a heart for it. It is a very big honor to be student body president, so I want to make sure that my focus is on just that.”

Author: Lindsay Schaefer

Lindsay Schaefer is a junior Mass Communication, Public Relations major at UMHB. She is the Entertainment Page editor for The Bells Newspaper. Growing up in the small town of Nacogdoches, Texas taught her to enjoy the simple things in life such as local cuisine, an afternoon at grandma’s house, and getting to know her “neighbors”. If she’s not hunting for the latest pair of shoes, she can most likely be found eating chocolate cake with her closest friends. She enjoys making copies for the Bells newspaper and taking on many other random assignments!