Campus revival to focus on God’s grace

A revival is coming. Speaker Afshin Ziafat and the Jeff Johnson Band will be ready to speak truth and worship underneath a big white tent in the middle of the Quad beginning Monday, April 4, at 7 p.m.

Everybody from campus and the surrounding communities are welcome to attend the three-night event.

Freshman graphic design major Diana Fadal is on the publicity sub-committee.

“I like being responsible for things week by week,” she said.

The planning process has taken a year for the revival steering committee to prepare. Not only does everyone have a list of duties, but they are encouraged to reach out and build relationships with others.

Fadal’s best experience so far is “getting to pray all together and interact with people outside of the committee.”

A theme was decided in October 2010.

After talking about the vision of how the committee should present the event to the university and community, grace came to mind. Fadal believes “Ocean of Grace” is a perfect fit for this year.

“So many things have been popping up as confirmation,” she said. “It could only have been made by God.”

After deciding on a theme, the full committee chose a verse to represent it.

2 Corinthians 15:10 says, “But by the grace of God I am what I am and His grace to me was not without effect”.

The verse was selected because to the committee, there is no denying God’s grace covers all, can humble all and change all.

“It just reminds me of how abounding His grace is for me. Sometimes I forget that and take it for granted,” sophomore math major Melissa Donham said.

Freshman graphic design major Jacob Brenton serves on the publicity committee, and will attend his first Revival at UMHB.

“I’m looking forward to seeing all of our heart work come to fruition, and seeing people who may never have given Jesus a thought get real with Him,” he said.

Those attending revival, the speaker, band and all fine details have been prayed for since the forming of the committee.

She is also ready to see how God continues to work in the committee.

“I am excited that people are excited,” Fadal said. “I can’t wait to see who all comes and hear how God rocked their world and changed them.”

Donham hopes the evenings run smoothly.

“One thing I’ve always told myself is that no matter if we, as the committee, don’t get everything accomplished that we hope to, God will still be working at Revival,” she said. “He can use anything for His glory. That’s my prayer for this year.”

Author: Andra Holbrooks

Andra is a senior Mass Communication/Journalism major from Aledo, TX. She is the Features Page Editor for The Bells. Andra loves spending time with her family, roommates and friends. Although her time at UMHB will soon come to an end, she will always hold the Crusader family dearly in her heart. Her adventure of becoming Features Editor for The Bells began in 2008. Being a writer was not a profession she ever imagined pursuing, but she is thankful for the opportunity God has given her to do so. She enjoys page designing and writing feature stories. After graduation in May, she hopes to use her degree by working for a magazine or reporting for a news station.