Students dance for Dr. Dre’s

With an incentive like a five dollar gift card just for participating, it’s no wonder students jumped on it.

The Campus Activities board held a Kinect dance competition Jan. 26 in the SUB  where 40 students competed and more than  200 came to watch.

Along with a gift card, anyone who signed up also was entered for the grand prize — a pair of Beats by Dr. Dre headphones.

Assistant Director of Campus Activities Jeff Sutton was happy with the event.

“The idea came from a brainstorming session at our first CAB meeting of the semester. I challenged the students to plan an event and implement it in the next two days …. Everyone really seemed to enjoy it,” he said.

Junior Ryan Metcalf dances to Lady Gaga for the win. Photo by Brittany Montgomery

The CAB workers advertised the event throughout campus and over Facebook.

Freshman Christian studies major Mary Parrish was one of the students who discovered the contest through Facebook.

“At first I was kind of hesitant to participate because I’ve never played. But, I’m also a very competitive person, so I thought why not,” she said.

Parrish said she didn’t do as well as she wanted but still had fun.

“The best part was watching the other students dance. Seeing my friends go head to head while trying to keep up with the beat was a good laugh well needed,” she said.

Junior computer science major Ryan Metcalf saw the bulletin board in the SUB announcing the event and was eager to

participate.

Metcalf said he did well in the competition.

“For the final round, I was shocked and nervous dancing to Lady Gaga’s ‘Just Dance’ on the hardest level, but I just went with the groove and took it to a new level for the win,” he said.

Metcalf outlasted all the other competitors in the tournament and won the pair of Dr. Dre headphones.

“I love dancing and acting goofy,” he said.

Sophomore accounting major Audrey Ohendalski was part of putting on the event through her role in the public relations section of CAB.

During the event Ohendalski was happy with the turnout.

“It’s been majorly entertaining, and it’s like a huge hit. There are like at least 50 people right now and more are coming in after chapel,” she said.

Ohendalski thinks the addition of the Kinect to the SUB brings something new for students, especially because they don’t need controllers.

She said, “It gets people up and moving …gets you watching, and then you’re like oh I want to try that.”

Author: Lauren Piercey

Lauren is a senior Mass Communication/Journalism major with a minor in Art and English. She is from the extremely small town of Plantersville, TX where she grew up with her two younger sisters and an assortment of animals. She became the transitions page editor after finally caving into joining the staff. She loves writing and is confident God will help her find a job after graduation in May. She also enjoys cooking, reading and tripping over her own two feet.